mouth open?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwtampa

Hatchling Member
alright so tonight i checked on my girl Gypsy before i turned off her light. she was laying on her corner and asleep...yet her mouth was almost completely open.to the point i could actually see her teeth,which are very strange looking since i'd never seen a lizard's teeth before...XD anyway, i got a little nervous when i stared at her side to see if she was still breathing. i didn't see any movement and tapped the plexiglass a little and called her name. she slooowly opened her eye a little and kinda looked at me. usually,her mouth is only a lil bit open and she closes it when she sees me. tonight her mouth just hung open.it took probably...20 seconds i guess for her to close it? is this normal for dragons??

i took her to the vet last monday and he said she was alright!...aside from a lil bout of pinworms and giardia i think...which have been treated with anti and probiotics. and she's been eatting good. so...is this just something normal,like how our mouths fall open when we sleep and i'm just being an overly worried beardie owner, or is this something i should keep an eye on???

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
First few things to make sure is is she hydrated well enough? How does the fecal look? What are the temps? A mouth constantly open could be a sign of an URI.

Edwtampa

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well see her mouth isn't constantly open,that's the thing. it's usually only when she's asleep.but yes,she's very well hydrated. her fecal looks good and i'm not sure about the temps but i'm sure they are in the 90's i think on the cool side...probably hotter on the side with her basking lamp. look,i'm really sure it isn't URI because the vet would have noticed it. it's just that this is the first time her mouth was wide open while she slept.

Kaizen

When under heat bearded dradgons tend to let off heat that builds up. It can also be dehydration. Look at the skin. Does it seem that its starting to bunch up? If so its problily dehydration. :blob8:

Edwtampa

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
no,her skin isn't all bunched up. and once again tonight,her mouth is pretty open.maybe it's just a reaction of muscles relaxing,like how our jaws fall open when we sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubhomes1
Top Bottom