More veg than insects for a baby beardie!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReptile838

Hatchling Member
Ok so I got my first bearded dragon yesterday which I was really excited about. Mojo seems to be settling in well.
She's been eating hoppers and crickets and 1 wax worm today and 2 yesterday.
He (or she, don't know yet) was thought to be about 2 months old as told by the reptile shop owner, but some people on here though Mojo looks a bit older, so perhaps about 5 months?
Anyway, I know at that young they take no interest in there veg, but Mojo seems to love it! There is spring greens in small pieces with grated carrot and some pellets. I know that they don't eat much in their first week but yesterday she ate 2 wax worms, 5 hoppers and 5 crickets. Today, 1 waxworm, 5 hoppers and 4 crickets. If he keeps this up for the first week will he be ok? Also, had to refill the veg bowl! She ate the lot and I left a lot there! Is it ok that she's turning into a vegetarian lol (not literally, but had a lot of it)
I'm so glad Mojo is settling in well though. She got a right little character... timer turned the light off, she turned and jumped off her lava rock (his favourite item in there) and went to bed and is now fast asleep! So proud of him/her and only had Mojo about 1 and a half days <3

But basically, my question is, do you think Mojo will be ok with that amount of food? I know you get loads of this type of stuff on this forum, but it's like what my dad was explaining to me... when I was a baby and I was asleep, he wasn't sure if I was ok so he poked me to make sure I was alive lol. Basically, as a new beardie owner I'm fretting too much about him being ok with eating, even if he is the liveliest thing I've ever seen!
I won't be getting hoppers again though, they jump too high o_o (clue in the name "hoppers") Ordering Dubia Roaches and Crickets for insects online instead =D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Being worried like that is part of the process for caring about dragons =). It's great that she is interested in salads. Not all of the young ones are, but it isn't a problem. She will still need plenty of feeders for protein to grow quickly. I'd continue to provide a fresh salad in the tank every day. In addition, I would provide live feeders once or twice daily. Offer them for 10-15 minutes at a time (removing any leftovers) or until she loses interest and appears full. You will want to dust the feeders (1 meal per day) with calcium powder 5x a week. Dust them (1 meal per day) with multivitamin powder 2x a week. There are some good ideas for what to offer in salads on the beautiful dragons website on the nutrition page.

TheReptile838

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you
I use the Vetark Nutrobal Calcium dust (it has vitamin stuff in it too)... but it smells like rotten fish =D I have been doing two feedings a day and been waiting 15 minutes for Mojo to eat, but hasn't been eating everything put in there. I do the calcium in the 2nd feeding. I've been putting in 3 hoppers and 3 crickets for the feedings (she eats hoppers first, then I put in the crickets) and that's just the amount she eats, but sometimes she has left 1 or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom