More than one Beardie in the Viv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redleg

We got our new Beardie Scarlett ("Scary") about a month ago, and she is doing terrific. She is very active, eats her crickets and salad, and has grown over 2 inches. I am pretty sure that she is a female because her body is very rounded compared to many Beardies.

We want her to have a great life and be happy, so my question is whether she needs the company of another Beardie, or will that just introduce competition and stress her? We all adore her and she gets lots of attention from the family. But what about another Beardie? I have read that a male in with her will stress her and constantly want to mate, etc. which is not a good thing. What is best for her?

What is she telling us with this look?
IMG_2583.jpg

jjh1

Juvie Member
Nope 1 beardie per viv ... know that from experience had a male and female together and there is too much stress the male will want to breed with the female all the time and one can become more dom over the other.
Also they like their own space.
Though my beardies do look at each other and I do let them hang out through the glass but unless I am going to breed them then they wont be together.
Too much fighting.

But thats just my opinion :)
Joanne

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Beardies are solitary creatures and they will kill each other. Results vary, there are some people who have done it but it always puts unnecessary stress on them and one user here kept two females together for three years and woke up one morning to find that one had killed the other so they can turn on one another. As much personality as we give them they are still animals and the wrong trigger from a tank mate can lead to a territorial dispute no matter the sex combo. Even the breeders here will agree. As tom from TnD Dragons put it in another thread, "One pooper to one tank."

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Honestly, your beardie is fine by herself. Beardies are pretty solitary creatures, so being alone for them is not a problem.
Bringing another beardie in to her home would potentially cause problems whether stress related, overbreeding, fighting or worse ... injury.
It doesn't matter if the other beardie is of the same sex or not, there could still be problems.
I'm sorry if this is not the answer you were hoping for, but the risk you would be taking would not be worth it.
It sounds like she has plenty of love and companionship with you and your family anyway. :wink: :D

Redleg

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Actually, these WERE the answers we were hoping for, so thank you. Scary seems pretty happy, and she really seems to like her Viv. She basks up on the high branches and surveys her domain, and seem quite pleased with things. I just want to make sure that we are doing right by her. She does seem territorial; sometimes "fights with her reflection" usually in the morning. So you are all doubtless correct that she would not welcome competition.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Glad we could help you with your decision. :D
It sounds like you are doing right by her so far.
Enjoy your little girl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom