Moody Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebDeznr

I got my Jouvie Beardie about 2 months ago, she was doing really well, she would come to me, hang out with me, was really calm. Now in the past week she has become moody and puffs out her neck, it becomes black and she is always ready to bite. She has become a demon... she is eatting well. Tank lighting is good and well heated.. there are no other children or pets in the house. Just her and I. what can i possibly do to change her back into the cute dragon I had 2 weeks ago? I also noticed this morning that she has started shedding. But this aggressive behaviour scares me. Please help or i will have to get rid of her. :( Thanks Kelly

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
I'm so sorry that her behavior is scaring you enough to consider re homing her :( My first suggestion would be to TRIPLE check the temps. If a beardie is too hot and dehydrated this is the usual reaction. Also, the shedding can certainly make them cranky, grumpy, moody. You said she was a juvie when you got her 2 months ago? Maybe she is just transitioning?

I'd certainly start with the husbandry. Are you using a UVB? If so, which brand? Coil or tube? No loose substrate, well hydrated by providing 20 minute warm soaks, and checking the basking SPOT and cool/warm sides of tank. What type of thermometer are you using to get the temps? Perhaps they're off? Is she pooping, eating? Lethargic? Hiding? The more info you can provide the more we can try to help so we can have a bigger picture.

Good luck, keep us posted!

WebDeznr

Original Poster
Thank you for your response KristineM, Rosy's is approx 7 months old, aquarium has 3 lights, 1 long UVB (Zoo-Med, Repti-Sun) and 1 basking light, 1 heat lamp both (Exo-Terra), no loose substrate, i understand its not good for their digestive system. She had a water fall in her tank but i took it out as crickets were getting inside and water was not healthy pump was making noise and upsetting her. She now has a water dish that i clean everyday. Now that you mention the heat of the tank, I observed over the weekend that the room she is in is very warm especially during peek hours of the day. I think i will set her timer to shut off the heat lamp during those hot hours as she still has a heating pad under the tank to see if that makes a difference. Maybe she is too hot?? I was under the assumption that Beardies like heat. As for 20 min soaks i cant even pick her up anymore, as soon as i come close she turns and puffs out her neck and hisses at me. She wasn't like this at first, i used to give her baths once a day. She is however very active, she eats approx 10 med crickets a day along with Kale, collards, carrots, grapes & mango (occasionally). If i drop crickets in her cage she is on them like lightening, not lethargic at all. She is pooping approx, once a day both black and white combined. I would like to post pictures of her but not sure how. She has a tree in her aquarium that she loves and is on it most of the time, I had a hammock and another rock structure but she rarely goes on them. I hope she has an attitude change as i really like her. Your input is greatly welcome. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom