Mixing panacur?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
I have recently rescued a small 3 yr old beardie. She is in pretty bad shape. They said she had a uvb in a tube, but when I got it, it was an ordinary fluorescent. :evil: She was also housed with sand and an UTH , no basking bulb, and she hadn't had feeders for weeks.She is now on paper towels and has uvb and basking light. I have had her since Sunday and she has eaten crickets and supers like it was her job. I noticed she had diarrhea from the start, but knowing she was stressed both before I got her(there was a 2 yr old terrorizing her and I had to scrub crayon marks off her tank) and with the move, I wanted to see how it played out. Now after almost a week, I have to consider the possibility of parasites. She threw up twice now and I suspected that the temp wasn't hot enough, so I raised it a bit with a higher wattage bulb. It is now in the 95-100 range. I also cut out the supers because even though she is big enough, she may have trouble digesting them.

I have rambled on giving the back story to ask the question of mixing the Panacur. I have the powder panacur that needs to be mixed with water. I can find the dosing chart, but I need to know the ratio of powder to water. Can anyone help me?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which UVB are you using now?
Do you use a digital probe or a temp gun to measure the temps now? The 95-100 is fine, you can take it to 105 if you would like.
Her digestive tract probably is not working optimally yet but hopefully soon it will be. Maybe getting her some probiotics will help her out a little bit.
Which Panacur powder do you have, can you measure out say .5grams on a scale? That would equal 500mgs. I could help you with mixing it to an acceptable strength to dose it.

Tracie

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She has the reptisun 10.0 tube. I took it from one of my other tanks, because he is in brumation and I wasn't turning it on anyway. Using a probe thermometer. I have probiotics on hand too. It is liquid, so how much should I give her? I have a digital food scale that measures grams that I use to weigh my corns. How many grams of panacur to how much water? Thanks so much for the fast reply!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do 1 gram or 1000 mgs of Panacur & mix it with 20mls of water. That will yield 50mg/ml. If you need help with dosing her, let me know. I would start her on 25mg/kg once, every 7 days right now.
How is she doing now? Has she eaten very much yet?

Tracie

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much! She ate a little yesterday. I upped her temp to 101. I will give her the first dose today. I may have to buy more probiotic. I had bought it last summer and just put it in my dragon cabinet. Looked yesterday and it said to refridgerate. I guess its no good now?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome.
I would definitely get some more probiotic too as it only lasts up to a year but if it gets too hot it will go bad.
I hope she is doing better today!

Tracie

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I remembered that I just ordered some in powder form recently for one of my snakes . It says it is good for reptiles and amphibians. I will dust her salad with it tomorrow. She seems more active now that the temps are up. No vomiting and even ate some salad. Her poop was more solid too.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope that it does help out for her. The Panacur is widely used for mammals & for reptiles, as well.
That is great she also ate too! Keep us posted on her. If her stools are improving, then she should start getting a lot more active with a better appetite, soon.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, that is good news she seemed better this morning! Bananas are among some of their favorites.
I hope she continues to improve for you.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom