Metabolic Bone Disease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

remi1

Juvie Member
Yes, great detective work! And I'm happy for Ricky :)

We freeze the veggie part of the ig salads because we make 15lbs at a time, and we do add a B1 supplement. But it's not something that immediately comes to mind, that's for sure!

theWERM

Hi, I don't mean to steal this this thread but I recently got a Beardie who sometimes (after walking) puts his front foot in the same way herpfreak's beardie in the first picture does. I put him on liquid calcium a few days ago, he hasn't done in over a week, do I need to be worried?

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
theWERM":a8a6a said:
Hi, I don't mean to steal this this thread but I recently got a Beardie who sometimes (after walking) puts his front foot in the same way herpfreak's beardie in the first picture does. I put him on liquid calcium a few days ago, he hasn't done in over a week, do I need to be worried?
Liquid calcium is definitely the way to go when it comes to MBD. A few weeks after I switched Budo liquid calc, I noticed major improvement whereas it took months to notice progress with dusting.

If he's stopped walking on the backs of his hands, there's no need to worry. Just be careful with the liquid calcium. A calcium overdose is just as bad as a deficiency. Personally, I give Budo .4mL daily, but chances are you won't be using the same brand.

shacota

I have a question about MBD. I just rescued a beardie this past week who I'm sure has MBD from neglect of previous owner. My question is can it be reversed? I now have Izzy on UVB lighting and good heat for the basking area. Previous owner claimed Izzy was not eating well, she now is eating 8-10 criks per feeding (we feed 2 times daily) with calcium dusting before eating. Izzy is 5 mts old and 8" long, we have a beardy from the same hatching that we bought at 2 mts old & Hermie is 12" long. It's hard to believe they are the same age. Izzy is eating collard greens, green beans and a couple of meal worms occasionally. She seems to be improving alot but I'm still concerned about the bump in the middle of her back and one back foot that is swollen. Would appreciate any help.

LilahFaye

Original Poster
If she does have MBD, it can be almost completely reversed if it's not a severe case. If she has a very bad case of MBD, sometimes it will be impossible to completely reverse it. But, with proper UVB radiation and calcium supplementation, she should get better, but it may take awhile. I had noticed signs of my lizard having MBD, or at least the beginnings of MBD, but he seems perfectly fine now (and He's only had his UVB bulb for 3 weeks or so.) If you think your girl has a severe case of MBD, you can take her to the vet to get liquid calcium, which works a lot better than dust. I had my lizard on liquid calcium for about a week, which would probably be a reason he's gotten so much better so quickly.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Shacota, if you need to get more advice, please start your own thread so that we can help you better. Thanks! :D
We can review your tank setup, & your nutrition, etc.
It sounds like she is not getting enough calcium because of the lump in the back & swollen foot, or you are feeding too large of feeders.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom