Mercury Vapour Bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that answered it. When you switch over to an MVB, does it need to be a reptile-specific MVB, or will any MVB from, say, a hardware store do? My boyfriend is pretty sure we already have some (somewhere...) and I do't want to hurt Gibby by using the wrong kind. I think it would be a much better option for him because his cage is so deep it's hard to get the ReptiSun close enough to do him any good, and keeping up temps is very difficult. It would be nice to have a bulb that accomplishes both things, the poor guy has spent more than enough of his life without enough UVB! The woman I got him from had apparently found out what "experts" thought was good for dragons when she got him 8 years ago, and never thought there might be advancements since, so had him under a red bulb and an ancient full spectrum light, never once did I ever see her check temps, and she thought mealworms and romaine were the best things for him and nearly flipped her lid when I told her I was feeding him mustard greens and cactus leaves. It's a wonder he's such a healthy boy.

Akeath

Gray-bearded Member
No, normal MVB bulbs won't do. This is because, even though they have warning that say they produce UVB, there is not any substantial amount because since they are used for humans they are limited in the amount they can produce by law. It certainly isn't enough for a reptile. There are 3 Mercury Vapor Bulbs suitable for Bearded Dragons. They are, in order of best UVB output first: The Megaray, the T-Rex, and the Powersun. You can get them online at reptileuv.com for the megaray and places like llreptiles etc. for the T-Rex and the Powersun.

LittleRob

Hatchling Member
So I was just about to ask about the Solar Glo good thing I searched abit first. I found this ad and well it seems like a good price http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pet/904944790.html cancel that I just found out those are normal prices. But after reading this it sounds like a bad idea. Anybody have any luck with them thou, I mean to much UV maybe put it abit farther away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom