Mega Ray SB at an Angle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I contacted Reptile UV about the bulb because in my tank angled mounting is necessary. I had one in before but because I was told the bulb would fail if not hung downward I removed it because it was overheating the basking area. I loved the quality of lighting I had before and read some very interesting articles on reptile lighting through reptileuvinfo.com and decided I needed to get Obie under a MVB soon. Here is what they said:

With most of these types of bulbs, the rumours are true. But due to Mega Rays unique design, high quality hand blown glass, etc. you can actually mount the bulb @ a 45 degree angle and still get great use and life out of it.

Sincerely,

John M. Wolff
Shipping Manager
Reptile UV
252-241-4584
[email protected]

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Hmm... interesting how he phrased that. "get great use and life out of it".... so to me that means there will be an impact by having the bulb at an angle. I'm curious to see what turns out to be.

mike91383

Hatchling Member
I have also been doing a lot of research on the Mega Ray both uv and non UV. The http://www.reptileuv.com/ has a lot of information on lighting and its setup. The thing to remember is "lighting is a process, not a bulb". You will need two dome lights. For one of them you will need a 50 watt Halogen bulb or greater that puts out 4,000 lumens. Depending on the distance from the face of the bulb to your Beardie you may need a higher watt bulb. Remember that Watts = Heat put out. In the second dome light you will need Mega Ray Self-ballasted 100 watt MVB/UVB or Mega-Ray External Ballasted Kits 60 watt Flood UVB Lamp Kit or T- Rex Active UVB Self-ballasted MVB. Either one of these are a great choice for a 40 gallon Breeder. Third is a Full Spectrum Fluorescent that can put out at least 5,000 lumens. All of the lights should be on timers to come on at different times during a 12 hour cycle. First the halogen between 7-8 am to 7-8pm. Next use the Mega Ray or T- Rex between 9-10am to 5-6pm. Then use the Fluorescent between 10 -11am to 3-4pm. And what this does is gives your reptile a more nature sunrise to sunset simulation. This will create a healthier immune system and physiological well being. I hope this helps. And like they say on retileuv.com "lighting is a process, not a bulb".

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
mike91383":469d7 said:
In the second dome light you will need Mega Ray Self-ballasted 100 watt MVB/UVB or Mega-Ray External Ballasted Kits 60 watt Flood UVB Lamp Kit or T- Rex Active UVB Self-ballasted MVB. Either one of these are a great choice for a 40 gallon Breeder. Third is a Full Spectrum Fluorescent that can put out at least 5,000 lumens.

Does the "Full Spectrum Fluorescent" bulb also emit UVB? I've never heard anyone recommend both, it's generally one or the other. Do you have a link to a sample bulb? I would think that's going to generate way too much UVB.

mike91383

Hatchling Member
Does the "Full Spectrum Fluorescent" bulb also emit UVB? I've never heard anyone recommend both, it's generally one or the other. Do you have a link to a sample bulb? I would think that's going to generate way too much UVB.

Correct, the fluorescent bulb should not have UVB. The light we see is different then the light are beardie can see. They can see UVA light so a full spectrum fluorescent can give him a wide color band in which they can see.
It help simulate peak sun light of a normal sunny day. Hope this helps
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom