mega-ray question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
so i yesterday i put in a new mega ray 100 watt self ballasted bulb in my dome... i noticed that the bulbs face was heavily frosted... come to find out reptile uv does that so uvb output is ideal... i used my last one for 7 months and there is no frosting on the face of that bulb.. just wondering if others have noticed it? or how long the frosting should stay on the bulbs??? the guy was telling me that if the frosting begins to burn off that it will need to be replaced

acwood04

Hatchling Member
I have the same exact bulb and I noticed the frosting as well. I havent started using it yet, as I am almost done with my 4x2x2 enclosure. I am wondering if anyone has used the self ballasted 100 watt in an enclosure that size and it provided ample heat..

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i use mine in a 40 gallon breeder. which is sufficient.. might wanna add a 45 watt bulb as well??

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Okay... Let's do a run down of the Top contestants in the UVB department.

Mega Ray (Worldwide)
T Rex active heat/uvb
Arcadia 12%(UK)
NEC t-10 Blacklight (AUS)
Repti Sun 10.0 tube
ReptiGlo 8.0 Tube
Reptisun 5.0 Tube

I hope this helps out.
Janie

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ya u really cant go wrong with gettng a mega-ray, i paid 47 (thats with shipping) for the 100 wat self-ballasted bulb... it gives off heat, and gives off uvb.. its a cool all in one bulb that lasts for a good year. What i will say is that i don't beleive the hype that it increases appetite more, or you'll notice brighter colors(as well as increasing bone strength, not planning on going to get xrays for no reason). i've used a reptisun 10.0 uvb tube along with a 100 wat refelector bulb from zoo med and they both yeilded the same results... i just think with the mega-ray u have less going on, on top of the screen, just put it in a deep dome fixture, and u can get a regular flourescent tube light for more light, if u have a fixture laying around.

Yes I meant Reptisun. Sorry for my mistake. Thank you very much for the list of best uvb lights. Helped me make a choice for my next viv :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom