Mega-ray microwatts

Status
Not open for further replies.

(b)dragon tamer

Hatchling Member
Im planning on getting a mega-ray light and i was wondering which one i should purchase for a tank that is 12.5in tall. It is also 36in long and 18 in wide. It says for the 100 watt bulb that it would produce 150-200 microwatts per square centimeter (uW/cm2) of UVB and 900-1200uW/cm2 of UVA. Is this what a bearded dragon needs? If not, what would be a good source of UVB? I already have a sufficient source of heat. PLEASE TELL ME IF THERE IS A MEGA-RAY I COULD USE BEFORE A NEW UVB!

-ps- looking into mega-ray for health reasons- i have been using a UVB in the past, dont worry!

LQDragons

Juvie Member
(b)dragon tamer":c7d19 said:
Well, does anyone know how many microwatts per square centimeter a beardie needs?
heres something I pulled off ReptileUV.com
question
"Recognizing that lamps will vary on UVB output (based on the nature of the lamps advanced engineering), can you send a lamp specifically rated for my needs. My cage is 38inches high, 38inches deep and 5 feet long, should I get the spot or flood? It is for Bearded Dragons, which in the wild get 360 - 380 uW/cm². in mid-day sunshine in Australia. Instead of getting a bulb that produces 250-300 microwatts (uW/cm2) I wanted a bulb that produces 300-340 uW/cm² at approximately 10-12 inches away from the bulb, but preferably 10inches because I plan on mounting the UVB in the cage, can I mount it at a slight angle? I plan on putting in a rock wall, horizontal logs, and shady areas. Please email me back or give me a number.
answer
Bearded dragons can receive up to 450uW/cm2 during the day but they don't normally bask in such high radiation. They are seen basking in conditions that are recorded at 75-250 under normal circumstances. Even in the shade they will be exposed to these numbers unless deep in their burrows for approximately 8 hours of the day.

I would highly recommend just using one of our normal Mega-Ray®s at the recommended distances. The 160wt SB Mega-Ray®* at about 14-18" (depending on the ambient air temperatures) will give you the needed 110+ degrees and the high UVB they enjoy. Even at 20 inches for the 160wt SB they would receive at least 75-100uW and that will be plenty to keep their circulating D3 levels (25-Hydroxy vitamin D3) at wild normal levels (175-250nmol/L).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bob says it all! I just wanted to add that while they do need a certain amount of UVB & the Megaray definitely does provide that, the dragon will self regulate as long as the UVB is provided for him. He will choose where he sits under & around the UVB in order to control their calcium & 25 hydroxy levels to maintain their bone density.
They are very instinctive creatures. The Megaray is a superb light.
Usually they should retain their bone density in the positive hydroxy 25 numbers around 125nmol/L with decent lighting, though they are usually higher in the wild. I think the minimum of UVB exposure should be 50 uWcm2. They can retain good bone density for awhile, but they are not invincible. So it is a good idea to keep the bulbs changed out regularly, but with the Megaray it has been known to last over 1 year & was proven by UVB meter tests.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom