**Mega Ray Issues** / Megaray RECALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdoney

I had the same problem so I went and bought a 100W floodlight from Walmart until the replacement bulb came. It is inexpensive and keeps the temp up.

binger

Hatchling Member
For people that have pulled their Mega Ray from their enclosures, how long has it typically taken for the eye closing/lethargy to subside? Days, weeks?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I wish I could answer your question. I have never experienced it. We do have two 60 watt eb setups and we have had no problems with it to date. We are keeping an eye on them so we will know if a problem crops up. I have read that you should give your beardie a break from the uvb for a week or two.

kdoney

Mine was doing the eye closing deal, and after removing the bulb I would say it was no more then 2-3 days before he was back to normal with having his eyes open.

binger

Hatchling Member
kdoney":7oc1wpnc said:
Mine was doing the eye closing deal, and after removing the bulb I would say it was no more then 2-3 days before he was back to normal with having his eyes open.

Was he being grumpy and lethargic as well? I'm just scared this could be indicative of a larger problem that I need to see a vet about. :(

LJean

Extreme Poster
binger":1x60r1at said:
kdoney":1x60r1at said:

Was he being grumpy and lethargic as well? I'm just scared this could be indicative of a larger problem that I need to see a vet about. :(

My dragon was grumpy, lethargic and had the eyes closing when we had a problem with a mvb. Try shutting it off for a few days and see if your dragon perks up. If he doesn't perk up, then it may be a different problem.

binger

Hatchling Member
I've turned BOTH of my beardies MVB's off for now... HE is the one having the trouble, but until I get this figured out, I'm being cautious. I have a 40w household bulb in both their enclosures just to provide SOME warmth and light. Should I up those to keep temps high, or shut them both off to let them heal their eyes?

lilacdragon

Hatchling Member
Hi, Binger.

Your dragon is almost certainly suffering from mild photo-kerato-conjunctivitis. It is like "snow blindness" - what people get if they look at very bright sunlight on snow, or arc welding light, without proper sunglasses - the UV damages the very delicate transparent cells on the front of the eye, the "cornea".
These cells are killed and have to regrow. It is really painful. People say it is like having glass or sand in your eyes. Your dragon keeps his eyes closed because of the sharp pain, it certainly will make him miserable and grumpy too. (Some dragons are so upset by the pain they totally collapse, and this is very frightening for both dragon and owner)
Fortunately, as soon as he closes his eyes, the damaging UV is blocked and the eye starts to heal. The moisture behind the closed eye helps, too. Healing is very fast and as it heals, the pain stops.
Many dragons open their eyes in about 2-3 days, some can take up to a week. If there was worse damage, though, such as "sunburn" of the eyelids too, these can swell up and healing may take a few days longer.
If you are worried, do take him to your reptile vet, but unless there are definite signs of an infection (oozing, weeping, bleeding or sticky discharge) there is not any need to use antibiotics, ointments etc..
It is best not to try to bathe the eyes with water or home remedies, or make him open them, or even to force feed him if he won't eat. As soon as the pain stops, he will feel like eating again. If he hasn't eaten or drunk for several days, though, it's probably a very good idea to offer a drink of slightly warm water to keep him hydrated.
When this condition first appeared with some compact lamps in 2006, I wrote a web page about it here:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm

Do keep him at the right basking temperature, this is really important. Buy a household incandescent lamp of the same wattage as your UVB bulb- a flood reflector is best - and put it in the fixture that had the UVB bulb. Measure the temperature you get under the lamp, and adjust the height and/or wattage till your basking zone is back to 100-105F.
The white light from an incandescent bulb contains no UVB and will not harm his eyes or slow down the healing - but being cold will slow down everything and could make him ill.

I hope this helps, and that he is soon recovered.
Best wishes,
Frances

Delshara

Hatchling Member
So as long as you keep the minimum distance of 14" away for the Megaray 100W SB, the bulb should be okay?

I've been using the 125W Solar Glo but now that this bulb isn't so great anymore (it's frustrating) I'm thinking about trying the Megaray one more time before going with Reptisun as a last resort. We'd had one of the new problem Megarays before and Nero did have eye trouble so I'm feeling a bit gun shy about getting another. He's has been fine under the Solar Glo except that he's gotten lazy and his appetite has slacked.

I was going to go with the 60W EB for sure, but it's on back order, unfortunately.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
Delshara":14w0inf4 said:
So as long as you keep the minimum distance of 14" away for the Megaray 100W SB, the bulb should be okay?

I've been using the 125W Solar Glo but now that this bulb isn't so great anymore (it's frustrating) I'm thinking about trying the Megaray one more time before going with Reptisun as a last resort. We'd had one of the new problem Megarays before and Nero did have eye trouble so I'm feeling a bit gun shy about getting another. He's has been fine under the Solar Glo except that he's gotten lazy and his appetite has slacked.

I was going to go with the 60W EB for sure, but it's on back order, unfortunately.

Personally, I recommend 16" minimum between the bulb and they bulb and the dragon. This may sound excessive, but it's safe and still provides an ample amount of UVB. I too had a couple of problem megarays, but have the latest release and no problems after a month or so of use.

kdoney

This is getting really frustrating, I got another replacement Megaray and once again my beardie is closing his eyes! I do not understand the problem as I used the last one I had for months with no problems. The only difference between this one, is that its not putting off as much heat as the previous Megaray I had, but I put a 75 W flood light in there for more heat. He is always energetic and hasnt ran around or ate anything in over 2 days now. Are there any other possible causes? I dont know what to do anymore..

JMWolff12

Call me directly at 252-241-4584. We have had now a total of 6 cases where the animals don't take to the new modification for some reason. We believe we have found a source for the original glass, and hope to have the bulb back to it's original design with no overcoat spray within the next month or two tops.

This situation has been a long process for everyone involved, and as always we will do everything we can to ensure that both you and your animal are happy, healthy and safe, one way or another. The biggest issue has been getting the proper glass back in, and as I said we believe we have found that source at this time.

John

Slapshot

I'm having problems with mine too. Had the bulb in at around 14" away from my dragon and he started to close his eyes. So I took it out for a week and then put it back in at 16" and he started to close his eyes again and stopped eating. I don't think the spray coating is working.

binger

Hatchling Member
Slapshot":39o3jgw8 said:
I'm having problems with mine too. Had the bulb in at around 14" away from my dragon and he started to close his eyes. So I took it out for a week and then put it back in at 16" and he started to close his eyes again and stopped eating. I don't think the spray coating is working.

I can't even tell if I have the "new" spray coating on mine. I bought them locally, and although the batch codes on the bulbs don't match the original "bad" batches, I'm still having problems. I LOVED my bulbs last year - never had one problem. Now, I'm stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom