Meet our Nino & Some Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngNJay

Hi!

We (Angie & Jay) joined the forums earlier, and have been reading ever since. Most of our questions have been answered but there's still so much more for us to learn. Any advice/tips will be greatly appreciated!

Here's a picture of our baby, his name is Nino.
full

We had been researching for about a month and went to PetSmart last Monday just to look and they let us hold him. When we went to put him down, he didn't want to let go. So he was kind of an impulse buy but we're so happy to have him.

We bought the Zoo Med 20 gallon Kit. From what we have read here, we are going out to buy a reptisun 10.0 tomorrow, as well as a thermometer to properly gauge the temps in the viv. We had been keeping the infrared bulb on at night but now know it can interrupt his sleep pattern, so will turn everything off around 10pm, and turn them back on around 5am before heading to work (got the timer plug). Is that too long? Also, is it ok to have both the basking light (100w) and the infrared light on at the same time? Not sure if it will make the viv too hot. We are using paper towels as a substrate, not the sand that came with the kit. Here's a picture of our current set up (working on making it nicer in there for him).

full

Nino has not been eating well, and he has had those stress marks. We read that it may take up to two weeks for him to get used to his new environment, and that we shouldn't hold him during this time. That was probably on Wednesday so we haven't touched him ever since except for a bath because he started shedding! Anyway, we bought him crickets (dusted them) and he ate about 25 of them but it took him 2 days. We have been preparing a kale, shaved baby carrots and mealworms salad but he eats the mealworms and leaves everything else. After his bath he seems to have perked up a little. Today he ate about 15 crickets, and 10 mealworms. I feel he might have eaten more crickets but we ran out. We are going to buy much more tomorrow. Can babies eat super worms or silkworms? The pet store has them but we weren't sure.

full

Sorry for the long post. We are so excited to have him, and want to make sure we keep him healthy. Thanks!
-Angie

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Cute dragon :D . You can turn off the infered light. All beardies need are a bright white basking light and a good uvb like the reptisun 10.0 tube. I'd nix those mealworms as they are hard for babies to digest. Crickets, Phoenix worms, silk worms and dubia ( depending where you are) are all great feeders. Also here is a site that is color coded beautifuldragons.com. That'll help you establish a good base for salads. Although lots of times they won't eat much salad until they are older and even then sometimes they still won't .

AngNJay

Original Poster
destiny1998":25h44snt said:
Hi. Cute dragon :D . You can turn off the infered light. All beardies need are a bright white basking light and a good uvb like the reptisun 10.0 tube. I'd nix those mealworms as they are hard for babies to digest. Crickets, Phoenix worms, silk worms and dubia ( depending where you are) are all great feeders. Also here is a site that is color coded beautifuldragons.com. That'll help you establish a good base for salads. Although lots of times they won't eat much salad until they are older and even then sometimes they still won't .

Thanks Destiny! Alright, no more infrared light. We just thought it would help increase the temps. The sticky thermometer in there went as high as 100 with both bulbs on. Idk how accurate it is though.

Good to know about the mealworms. Since he wasn't eating, we were just happy to see him munch on something. I don't care for salads either so I understand if Nino doesn't :lol:
-Angie

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
I hear ya ! Salds aren't favorite either :D . Yeah those thermometers are inaccurate like by 20 degreesor more. Temp gun or digital with a wire probe are the only ways to get the most accurate temps on the basking spot.

AngNJay

Original Poster
Thanks. We bought the digital thermometer with the probe. Had no luck finding the reptisun 10.0 tube so will have to try ordering online.

Nino is still not eating well. He won't eat the crickets that we just put in his tank. Got some waxworms too. Those worms are good at hiding and escaping. We almost got lucky and bought calci-worms at petco but they had them in the fridge and they all died. Good thing we checked before buying them.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
You just got him last Mon right? He probably still has relocation stress so give him another week and hopefully he'll start eating more than you ever imagined a baby beardie could :D

AngNJay

Original Poster
destiny1998":2wwiwjyk said:
You just got him last Mon right? He probably still has relocation stress so give him another week and hopefully he'll start eating more than you ever imagined a baby beardie could :D

It's been 3 weeks since we got him now. He's still not eating as much as we read he should be. He's shedding though so I don't know if that has something to do with it. We also got the reptisun 10.0 bulb and installed the fixture. We had to rearrange his things a bit so he got super dark stress marks for some days after that. He mostly lays on the log or hides in his cave. Doesn't really chase the crickets. He waits until they come to him. We have fed him some waxworms and super worms by hand, but I'm not trying to grab a cricket any time soon lol. Spoiled little guy.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Don't feed super worms until he's 16 inches. How are the temps? How far is the uvb ? Is it a t8 or t5? It says on the bulb. Sometimes you need to take the hide out so he'll have to bask. Shedding can affect the appetite and mood. If he doesn't pick up on eating you may want to get a fecal done.

AngNJay

Original Poster
destiny1998":qf0bu5l0 said:
Hi. Don't feed super worms until he's 16 inches. How are the temps? How far is the uvb ? Is it a t8 or t5? It says on the bulb. Sometimes you need to take the hide out so he'll have to bask. Shedding can affect the appetite and mood. If he doesn't pick up on eating you may want to get a fecal done.

Oo thanks for letting me know about the super worms. No more of those. He's only 9 inches. The temps are between 104 and 110. The uvb is about 5-6 inches from the basking spot and it's a T8. He's been basking more. Our basking bulb burned out on Tuesday while at work so he must've been cold all day. We got him a new one on Wednesday, and a backup. He eats but still not as much as I've been reading he should. Thanks for all of your help!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. What kind of basking light is that? Is it coated with neodymium? He needs just a plain white basking light. I use a halogen flood bulb.

AngNJay

Original Poster
destiny1998":1h3we024 said:
Hi. What kind of basking light is that? Is it coated with neodymium? He needs just a plain white basking light. I use a halogen flood bulb.

Hey, I don't know. The box doesn't say anything about neodymium. Can we purchase any brand halogen flood bulb? And how many watts do you recommend? We have a 20 gallon viv. Here's a picture of the bulb we're using. It's a repti basking spot lamp 100W.

84187-3789472627.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those are good bulbs. I've used a lot of them in the past. It's good to have a spare on hand though because they tend to burn out after a couple of months without notice.

AngNJay

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3gpyfwek said:
Those are good bulbs. I've used a lot of them in the past. It's good to have a spare on hand though because they tend to burn out after a couple of months without notice.

Thanks cooper! Yea we had the one that came with the viv for less than a month and it burned out. So we bought the two pack but would rather invest in something that's going to last.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The basking lights burn hot and burn for a long time every day so they don't tend to last too long. I haven't found one that lasts very long anyway. Sometimes they last 6 months, sometimes 3 or 4 though so it's relatively inconsistent. I've tried halogen flood lights from the hardware store too. While they are a bit more durable (I like using them for travel and for outside of the tank basking lights) they burn out within a few months too. There may be better options out there, I just haven't found them yet. In the meantime I just stock up and replace them as they burn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKFA
Top Bottom