meet my new baby Elyott

Status
Not open for further replies.
hii! my name is Bryanna. i've been on here for about a week. i just got my new baby beardie today. my first one! she is about 5 inches long and 4 weeks old. it was a horrible 7 hours... no one really liked it. but i got this beautiful little girl (at least i hope its a girl)

this is one of the first pictures i took of her.
BeFunky_photo7.jpg

all stretched out
BeFunky_photo6.jpg

BeFunky_photo5.jpg

i almost thought she was gonna fall asleep
BeFunky_photo4.jpg

BeFunky_photo3.jpg

at home!!!
BeFunky_photo2.jpg

BeFunky_photo1.jpg

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh i know he will still need the crickets just not as offen, and i already knew he wouldn't be switching for a while. The fact that he's eating veggies now means it won't be the "but mom i don't wanna eat veggies" when he's older. And yes he is so big. Its crazy how fast they grow

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It is, once he reaches 16" you can add superworms to his protein list. My crew all eat them & have for years. I also have roaches, and 3 of them now eat them, too. Just adds variety. So there are inexpensive options to crickets once he's alot bigger. You'll have to measure him, as he seems alot bigger than in his picture!

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He's 7inches and yes thoughs pics make him look small. So he needs about 11 more inches. :) and what is the difference between superworms and mealworms? Also my mother would never let me have rouches in the house.

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
BeardieMommy3991":1e7fnld3 said:
Mealworms have a very hard shell made of chitin, and superworms do not. Thats why they are reccomended over mealworms

Really? I thought they both had chitin shells. Are the superworm shells softer then?

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah i thought they were the same too. Anyways i can't wait to be able to buy less crickets. I hate crickets. But he's starting to really like them

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Okay, like the entomologist I am I looked up superworms and mealworms. And I found out that they are larvae of the same beetle species.

Superworms:
Latin name: Zophobas Morio
Species: Darkling beetle

Mealworms:
Latin name: Tenebrio Molitor
Species: Darkling beetle

So they are of the same beetle species. Just different beetle larvae.
(Sorry if I hijacked.)

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Hm. I was pretty sure they bred them differently, so that the superworms had a softer shell and were bigger at full growth(worm stage). But you are the bug guy... Sooo... :dontknow:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Even so, supers are much bigger & have much more meat than mealworms, which are not good for beardies of any size. Supers are normally given to beardies who are bigger than 16" long, because as they grow to adulthood, the kink in their digestive tract straightens out, at least that's what I've been told. My 5 boys love supers & would live on them only if they had the choice, unfortunately, they have to eat their salads first.

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Lol anyway i can't wait to be able to feed them to him because cickets are gross. I don't mind worms. Thry don' hop around or make noise. I reall wish i could get a good price on phoenix woms. Its close to $15 for 100 medium and $15+ for shipping to canada. And some won't ship to canada.

make sure your not handling her too much unless you need to. let her settle in for about 4 days. then you can handle her as much as you want!! good luck she gorg!!

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'm confused by the last post. I've had him for a month, and he loves to be out. Anyways just foun out how big my floor is in my new enclsoure. 2 feet by 3 feet. Hopefully that will be big enough. Any idea for the flooring? I know about tile, or should i use reptile carpet? Disitions disitions

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Omg! I love getting the reptile stuff i ordered! Its feels just like chirstmas again. Some new vtumins, and a reptile hammock, and a new digital thermometer. I had a thermometer already but it wasn't digital, and only celsius. Also as a treat i got a juvenile bearded dragon pelet. As a treat. It says its so healthy but i don't think so. But i love getting my stuff!!!

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
I love getting now reptile stuff too! :D I think Nim enjoys it also.

I think beamingdragon didn't read the whole thread. (LOL, who would? It's so long now.)

BeardieMommy3991":r0inb62a said:
Hm. I was pretty sure they bred them differently, so that the superworms had a softer shell and were bigger at full growth(worm stage). But you are the bug guy... Sooo... :dontknow:

Well, I was going to post earlier but mom wanted the computer for awhile. I think why supers are better than mealworms is because they have more meat. Like what sweetiepie said. At first I thought mealworms and superworms were the same too. Mealworms have more chitin than meat and supers have more meat than chitin. I think that is the difference. But I will hold on the supers until Nim grows bigger. I really just love sharing my bug knowledge! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom