Mealworms or Superworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Hi all, I seem to be flooding the forum with questions at the moment, apologies :oops: I was wondering what the difference between mealworms and superworms are? I am unable to breed my own feeders (space and family members freaking out issues) so just want to make sure I am not sold the wrong ones. I have looked them up online and they look almost identical to me (a total newbie) they both turn into a type of darkling beetle and I honestly would not be able to tell the worms apart :/ Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Also, over here in the UK we are sold locusts, waxworms (are they the same as pheonix worms?), crickets (black and brown). I don't hear locusts being mentioned as a food source for beardies on this forum, is there a particular reason? I have never seen roaches or Dubais (not sure if thats the right spelling) sold here so far.

Thanks all :D

Livey

Extreme Poster
Hi!
Ok, the only difference is that mealies are tougher to digest and have a lot of shell...
And super`s have a lot more meat to shell ratio...
Mealworms can be fed at any age but are bad for beardies
super`s can only be fed to 16 inch + dragons.
Phoenix worms are Nutir-grub over here, which can be found on websites such as http://www.butterworms.co.uk/
Locusts are only available over here apparently not sure why, but i feed all of my 3 on locusts..
Roaches are not that big over here but you can buy them from http://www.rickslivefood.co.uk/

Hope i helped
Olivia

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Olivia :) so do you know what waxworms are? I went to the petshop and he sold me these little maggoty looking things with dark heads, said they were waxworms and good for beardies. Sorry for being a pain :oops:

Jo

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ahh i see. typical as I bought 3 lil tubs coz they were on offer *sigh* may see if I can give them back, you never know. Ooo just thought of another question but I will ask it in the feeding thread (don't want to flood this one with off topic questions).

Thanks again :)

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yet another question :roll: Just been looking online for superworms, and a lot of suppliers are quite confusing. When you search their sites for superworms sometimes you just find mealworms or mini mealworms. Are mini mealworms ok to feed to dragons? One site seemed ok and said "Our Giant mealworms are Zoophobas morio worms NOT hormone treated regular mealworms". Is this good? I am desperately trying to get my beardie to eat and he is turning his nose up at everything! I don't trust the local petshop to sell me supers and not mealworms so thought I would go direct. Basil is 16inches which I believe is big enough from what I have read on here :)

So much good advice on this forum, I totally love it (although my eyes are beginning to blur somewhat ;))

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you once again! I can certainly get to a Pets at Home at the weekend :) I am jotting down all this info in a notebook (coz I am obssessed) and i shall add them as a source :)

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
yet another question :) how many worms do you get in a 40g tub? I dont want to risk getting too many in case he refuses to eat them as well as everything else. How long do they last?

Livey

Extreme Poster
um... not sure ive never ordered supers off there lol
I bought a tub from pets at home 2 weeks ago and there all still alive :)
I just put some veg in every so often ...

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sounds like a plan :) Pets at Home it is. Thank you so much for all the help :) I am sure I will have many more questions in the not too distant future :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom