mealworm vs dermestid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trajega

Hatchling Member
I am trying to see if I can get my bins to only need to be cleaned 1x/year or 1 every 2 years as apposed to every 6 months. (Yes, I know Im lazy, but I want to scale everything I am doing without scaling the overhead as quickly).

I was at a reptile expo and was looking at expanding my feeder stash, and REALY hoping to get some dermestids. A vender who seemed fairly knowledgeable suggested I try tiny mealworms. To my understanding they will do the same cleanup in my bins, but he was not certain if they processed dung.

I threw them in to two different bins (Rud runner / blaptica), can anybody tell me if I am wasting my time using them as a cleaner or if I should just ebay some dermestids?

ash0587

Hatchling Member
I got dermestids from these guys http://www.westcoastroaches.com/ and havent had to clean my bin out at all. They recommend the dermestids to clean dead roaches and fecal material, and meal worms to control any grains that don't get eaten so that you don't get grain mite infestations, but I haven't added meal worms and haven't had any issues. Their website has a ton of helpful info on it, so if you get a chance check it out.
hope that helps a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom