Meal worms and dubias?

Mollysn28

Hello. My bearded dragon u,is about 5 to 6 months. I got her when she was about 3 weeks old. When I got her from the reptile store, they mainly had her eating dubias and mealworms. So I've kinda just kept her on that regimen, plus salads. She's really good at earing her greens. I feed her 1 to 2 times a day. She'll eat like 15 big worms. I feel like she's getting a a little junk in her trunk. Any diet suggestions?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello. My bearded dragon u,is about 5 to 6 months. I got her when she was about 3 weeks old. When I got her from the reptile store, they mainly had her eating dubias and mealworms. So I've kinda just kept her on that regimen, plus salads. She's really good at earing her greens. I feed her 1 to 2 times a day. She'll eat like 15 big worms. I feel like she's getting a a little junk in her trunk. Any diet suggestions?
Please lay off the meal worms--- babies are real susceptible to impaction from meal worms- the exo skeleton on them is harsh on babies stomachs -- I would get her on some super worms 2-3 times per week and only feed 1-3 of them- the salads you can feed more of and the dubias are a good staple insect- you can add horn worms to her diet along w/ silk worms as a staple as well - it will give her variety

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
babies are real susceptible to impaction from meal worms
No they aren't.

Too much misinformation on feeder insects has been spreading lately..

Any diet suggestions?
Variety is key. The more different types of insects you can offer, typically the better. A diet of appropriately sized dubias and mealworms is a lot better than a diet of solely dubias.

Make sure to be offering good salads daily too.

-Brandon

Mollysn28

Original Poster
No they aren't.

Too much misinformation on feeder insects has been spreading lately..

Variety is key. The more different types of insects you can offer, typically the better. A diet of appropriately sized dubias and mealworms is a lot better than a diet of solely dubias.

Make sure to be offering good salads daily too.

-Brandon
Thank you so much. So at this point would you recommend super worms over meal worms?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thank you so much. So at this point would you recommend super worms over meal worms?
Both can have a place in the diet, especially if you're lacking access to other feeder options. Variety is what you should aim for if you can.

Mealworms + superworms are better than one or the other.

-Brandon

Mollysn28

Original Poster
Both can have a place in the diet, especially if you're lacking access to other feeder options. Variety is what you should aim for if you can.

Mealworms + superworms are better than one or the other.

-Brandon
Got it. I've been doing meal worms, dubias, and BLSF OR whatever. She eats turnip greens, mustard greens, and dandelion greens. But ok. Thank u for the info. :)

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom