MBV requirments.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Hello everyone! I have been using the arcadia 12% bulb for a year or so now, and have always wondered about MBV's. I have a cross-fire-like enclosure that i built last year and wondered how it works, incandescent bulbs i can dim, what can i do if this one is too hot? Also how do you affix a dome? Or do i need a dome, will a ceramic fixture (for wattage up to 250) do?

I only ask as i have found a solar glo bulb for £30, so i was thinking of making the switch but wanted to know the details....

Cheers in advance!

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Buggsy":05a61 said:
Hello everyone! I have been using the arcadia 12% bulb for a year or so now, and have always wondered about MBV's. I have a cross-fire-like enclosure that i built last year and wondered how it works, incandescent bulbs i can dim, what can i do if this one is too hot? Also how do you affix a dome? Or do i need a dome, will a ceramic fixture (for wattage up to 250) do?

I only ask as i have found a solar glo bulb for £30, so i was thinking of making the switch but wanted to know the details....

The biggest issue (IMO) with MVB is the minimum distance requirement, I'm not sure what wattage you were looking at, but it's probably 12-18" from the bulb. Depending how high your basking spot currently is, this may cause a problem.

As for how to mount the domes, typically they aren't. If it's what i'm thinking about, they generally just sit on top of a screen top. You can get away with using a ceramic fixture instead but, one of the benefits of the dome is to reflect the UVB/light into a smaller area. Also, if you have the fixture inside of the tank, that's going to drop it down 7-8" inches, which really limits how high the basking spot is. :(

Lots of people seem to like them, but unless you are redesigning the enclosure, or are having big problem with your current lighting setup, i don't think it's worth it personally. Also, MVBs cannot be dimmed, so you are pretty limited as far as how much heat they generate. It's kind of a guess game. If the one you have is making things too hot, you'd need to compensate with more vents / circulation.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yes the more research i am doing, the less likely it is i will make the swap!

I have a 95 Gal homemade cage which is 24" high, but i would have to mount in inside as i dont have a screen top, and that would put her basking spot bascially at ground level. She likes the high platform she has (keeps jupming up to jump off agian) so i think such a big change would be detrimental!

The arcadia12% set up i have is by no means bad! I think i am just bored and am lookignfor things to do, i plan on doing a fake wall, not rock but need to wait for the better weather as the last one i did got very messy and my bF wasnt tpo happy with me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom