MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassy64

We found out why our Cleo got MBD today. We called the vet to be sure. The uvb light fixture had a plastic cover over the uvb light. We found while replacing the uvb light. My hubby was reading the zoo med tube uvb pkg. and it said no rays could get through plastic or glass. It also said if the screen was sm. you lose 50% of your light and uvb. The vet said yes that was true. So our next step is to call the company who makes the brand of light that is. I believe its All Living Things. I hope no other pet has to die a slow agonizing death like our sweet baby did!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is true about the UVB lights. The plastic needs to be removed for them to be effective as plastic and glass intercept UVB rays. The T8 tubes have an optimal range at about 6-8'' without a screen (which can intercept approx 30% of UVB). The T5 tubes offer a higher output and have an optimal range at about 12-14'' above the basking area. I'm so sorry about Cleo. It isn't apparent that the plastic cover needs to be removed for a UVB light. This was an unfortunate accident. If you'd like assistance with fine tuning your setup for your new buddy Flash please let me know, I'll be glad to help however I can.

sassy64

Original Poster
Ty so much Cooperdragon! We are still missing our baby Cleo! I have even made the mistake and called Flash Cleo! Guess What? I got Flash out of the habitat today today and put him on my chest and sat down with him on the couch and pet him and softly talked to him and he even relaxed enough that I was able to take my hand off of him for a min or two before he decided to take off. The we decided to give him a bath. He's not to thrilled but Jon put his hand under him and gave him a ride in his hand and he relaxed. I got some pics. I will send you some in a little bit. He had only had about 4 in his whole life and he's almost 2 yrs old. They said he didn't like them. I think they they was afraid to give him one. They were very young parents. How long have you had beardies?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great. I'm sure he enjoys the attention and love. You can try putting a washcloth at the bottom of the bath to give him a little bit of traction. I found that helps sometimes. I used a turkey roasting pan as a bathtub because it's portable, easy to fill, and easy to empty & clean. I've had two dragons so far. My first was Cooper. He was a Petco dragon and my little buddy. I got him on July 23 2011 so that's where it all started. I got my second dragon, Dundee, on July 6 2014. He was a rescue who was in rough shape and he grew on me quite a bit as he recovered. No turning back now, I'm hooked on dragons =).

sassy64

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3e3z6rux said:
That's great. I'm sure he enjoys the attention and love. You can try putting a washcloth at the bottom of the bath to give him a little bit of traction. I found that helps sometimes. I used a turkey roasting pan as a bathtub because it's portable, easy to fill, and easy to empty & clean. I've had two dragons so far. My first was Cooper. He was a Petco dragon and my little buddy. I got him on July 23 2011 so that's where it all started. I got my second dragon, Dundee, on July 6 2014. He was a rescue who was in rough shape and he grew on me quite a bit as he recovered. No turning back now, I'm hooked on dragons =).

When I fell in Love with my Hubby now. I also had a chance to know and love baby Cleo. Even though she was getting worse and worse. No matter what we did to help her.
Now we have our Big Boy Flash! I really don't think he has ever known much love! But he's getting it now! I am looking for a baby about
4-6 months . One that I can bond with. I know its possible to bond with an older one. It just takes time. But I really would like a baby! I like the red ones they are so pretty! Getting the A/c fixed put us behind. But I have health issues with my lungs and heart and panic attacks and my hubby has seizures and panic attacks we are both disabled.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have the panic attacks too. If anything, these little guys help with that overall. In my opinion, nothing beats the feeling of rescuing a dragon in need. It's great for them and for us. It does take more time to bond with an older one, but the bond can be even stronger. Take good care of Flash and he'll take good care of you just like my Dundee did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom