MBD? Its been two weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilYoul

I'm worried my juvenile bearded dragon may have mbd. About 2 weeks ago I posted in a form that I was using a repti-glo and I had him 8 - 12 inches away depending on where he was on his log 8 inches being his absolute closest to the uvb.. and after finding out he needed a repti-sun 10.0 and needed to be 6 inches from it I bought a repti-sun 10.0 and put him 6 inches from his bulb and now he don't twitch near as much in the hind legs but he seems very weak overall in the limbs.. I just need some information on what I should do? should I buy liquid drops? I'm currently using flukers calcium with d3 I just want to know if there's a way I can get him to recover fully since he is in the process of still growing

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have the Reptisun 10 tube bulb 6-8 inches from him with no screen or plastic in between him & the light?
I would try using some liquid calcium for awhile. That is absorbed more efficiently than the powdered calcium is since he is having trouble right now.
How is his appetite?

Tracie

EvilYoul

Original Poster
His appetite is excellent. And no he's 6 inches away with the screen but I have cd cases on the sides of the fluorescent making it 6 inches without he's 4 inches from it with the screen would this be better? Also what's the best brand of liquid drops to get and how often does he get it? And how do you use the drops do you lotion them up with it? Also do I then discontinue the powder if I use drops and is the distance the same from the uvb light with liquid?

Gail

BD.org Addict
You can order liquid calcium from Drache613, just go to the link in her siggy. You don't rub it on them, you feed it to them and no, you won't use the liquid and powder at the same time.
Don't waste you money on any of those UVB/calcium drops at the pet store, its not what you need.

EvilYoul

Original Poster
Is the liquid stuff really necessary though? I got an appointment with the vet on thursday so he can decide what I should do

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you going to get a blood test on thursday? If so, they can test the calcium in the blood to see what they are. He is probably low & would greatly benefit from liquid calcium. The vet should have liquid calcium on hand to prescribe for him, should he need it. The liquid absorbs much better than the powder does though.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

EvilYoul

Original Poster
Well I got some really bad news.. But first off I took my beardie to the vet and they didn't do a blood test but they said it was hypocalcemia and prescribed me with liquid calcium. Although they did weigh him they said he was 40 grams I believe so they prescribed me liquid calcium and told me to give him 0.04 ml of the liquid every 12 hours. Now secondly she asked me if i could bring in a fecal I said sure that wouldn't hurt.. so I did and that same day I received a phone call from the vet and they said I got some really bad news and good news I said whats the bad news.. she said He's got pin worms, parasites, coccidia the whole 9 yards everything you can think of :(. So I said ok whats the good news she said well good news is I'm glad you brought him here and I'm glad we did a fecal I said yeah me too so do you got medicine for him? She said yeah if you want to you can come pick them up tomorrow morning and I could go over the meds with you and I said yeah that would be terrific.. So I went to the vet and they prescribed him 2 different kinds of meds I'll go over them with you.. One is called panacur- instructions are: give 1 syringe orally every 7 days for 3 treatments. Then re-check stool sample.. the other is called Albon Suspension- Instructions are: give 1 syringe once daily for 3 days, then give every other day until gone. Recommend giving extra water with medication, so I put water in his calcium syringe and give him a little extra than he normally gets with this one.. Also I removed his carpet and put down news paper and cleaned his log with dawn dish soap with bleach.. which he never drops any stools on his log it was always on the carpet but, I noticed since i laid that newspaper down he's acted stressed out over it.. I feel bad for him going through so much.. I almost wanna give the carpet back but I don't want him to get all this stuff back while im trying to get rid of it and he also has a hard time seeing the crickets on the newspaper and don't really chase them down because he slides all over the place.. Which normally I drop them in from the top and hes right on it.. the only reason I don't feed in a separate container is because he never seems to eat as much if at all outside of his vivarium but I clean crickets out if there's any left normally there isn't like I said he eats them as fast as I drop them lol :p but, every since I put that newspaper down he's had problems with eating but oh he's trying trust me he just can't stand to slide around lol.. But, anyways all in all he's been eating very well up to 100+ crickets possibly 150 now per day along with his collard greens I put in there with him and sometimes chopped up squash and occasionally green beans. So yeah he seems and acts very healthy but, has twitching and spasms in the legs when trying to get around :( . Any extra information Tracie and everyone else as well would be greatly appreciated Thanks :)

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Bleach doesn't kill coccidia.. you need to get ammonia. That is the only thing that will kill it.. make sure you rinse everything that you use ammonia to clean very very good. Also, any logs should be baked at 225 degrees for 45 minutes to kill whatever parasites may be on them...

EvilYoul

Original Poster
Ok, what about the aquarium itself? Do coccidia and pinworms hang on to the glass as well or just the items in the tank? Also how often should I clean these items?

EvilYoul

Original Poster
Also the log is not made out of wood I forgot to mention that as well.. I'm not sure what its made out of but its more like an antique

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, I would wipe down the aquarium as well, and make sure you rinse it really really good.. If the log can't be baked, then use ammonia on that also. Keep him out of the aquarium for at least 2 hours after cleaning it and make sure the smell is totally gone..

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great that you have him started on the liquid calcium from the vet.
Do you know the dose & the strength of th Panacur & the Albon, by chance?
The regime sounds conservative to me, so that is good. I would just like to know the doses, if possible. Extra water is very important with any drugs, yes. Do you have probiotics as well to give to him while he is on the medications?
Be careful with the ammonia, & rinse very very well before putting anything back in the tank. The wood items are easily soaked in hot water then baked for 30 minutes or so at 250 roughly.
Use paper towels for the substrate & cardboard boxes to make it easier on yourself to keep it clean, daily.

Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

EvilYoul

Original Poster
Everything seems to be going great at the moment.. The only thing is he hasn't been eating as great as he was before i placed him on the meds he was eating about 130 to 150 crickets per day with his greens. And no I'm not sure the strength of the Panacur & the Albon but, the dosages are 0.04 ml on everything but, the Panacur is only to be given every Saturday which all together is 3 doses, then the albon suspension is everyday for 3 days then every other day until gone, which is 3 more doses. And no i don't have the Probiotics I just got through reading up information about that in previous forums and I seen its good to give them a probiotic called Acidophiliz+ I then checked stores in my area for this product and couldn't find any but, I found some online at reptile supply and i'm placing in an order for some as we speak! But other than that i've noticed a complete difference in him he seem's to be acting a whole lot better guys! :p especially in the limbs and stuff he's not twitching so much now and he's actually using his legs more efficiently :p I feel a lot better knowing im finally doing something right! I felt like i was doing everything wrong and it was my fault he ended up this way.. I mean i did my homework the best I could before i purchased him but, I didn't expect there to be this much more stuff. But anyways guys I really appreciate everyone's help from the forums without you guys i'd be lost in some situations... Hope to hear from you soon thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like he is doing pretty well then.
The doses of the Albon & Panacur look fine. That is great you have gotten the acidophiliz ordered now. It should help him out quite a bit.
How are his back legs doing now? Any more improvements?
I hope he is eating a lot for you now & feeling better too.

Tracie

EvilYoul

Original Poster
I just received the acidophiliz in the mail today and I had one question about this pro-biotic.. I currently have my bearded dragon on liquid calcium and today I gave him a dose of that and a dose of acidophiliz at the same time is this ok? Now i did notice tonight before his bed time he's been alot more twitchy for some reason and I noticed the acidophiliz has calcium in it I'm just wondering if maybe too much could cause him to do that? He was twitching before in the past but he's been getting better in the limbs and then all the sudden after taken those two products at once this happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom