MBD+Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
When I got my buddy Budo in January, he had mild MBD. (I never forgave the vivarium for mistreating my baby :angry5: ) After a few weeks of calcium supplements and UVB, all the signs disappeared. No big deal.

Then, around February, he decided he wanted to brumate. I was worried about his MBD coming back, so I've been fighting tooth-and-nail to keep him awake. I took out everything except for his basking rock and salad bowl so he can't hide. I put him on his rock whenever I see he's not, but I'm not home all the time, so at least 50% of his day is spent sleeping in the corner farthest from his basking spot. He has also stopped eating anything except for butternut squash babyfood and collards. So he is pretty much in full brumation, and now he isn't getting his calcium supplements either.

And his MBD is back. It's not serious, but his toes are starting to curl, his legs bend at funny angles, and his tail has a kink. I would definitely take him to a vet, but he's slowly becoming more and more active, and the weather is really warming up here, so I expect him to go back to his hyper, hungry self any day now. But if it gets any worse, I will definitely take him in.

So, for now, is there anything else I can do? He gets daily baths to stay hydrated since he's not eating, and I also hear that baths help strengthen their weak bones. I still let him out for free roam every few days, but he usually either runs straight back to his enclosure or makes a beeline for some dark corner where he sleeps.

Could I put anything in his squash babyfood, maybe? Could I mix in some calcium powder? Anything else I can do to help him?

Lennifer

Juvie Member
If he is still eatting his greens/squash but not live feeders, u can just sprinkle the suppliments onto his salad so he can still receive his calcium/vitamins:) If u could answer a few questions, it may help us figure out what the problem could be. What kind of UVB lightiing do u use (type & brand)? What is the basking spot temp? What size enclosure do u have him in? I honestly don't know too much about brumation with MBD, so I'm not sure if u need to keep him awake or not. I'm guessing he isn't in full brumation because he still comes out to eat, or is that because u removed his furniture? If he is still coming out to eat, I would allow him to Brumate because he can still receive his suppliments on his greens. I didn't know some people still had Bearded Dragons burmating. I thought thay were all starting to come out of it but I could be wrong. I do know that when they are in Brumation, u can wake them up every couple days to give a warm soak to keep them dehydrated.

~Sandy

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I've tried dusting his salad, but he won't eat it.

How old is your dragon? 1-2 years
How long have you had your dragon? Got him Monday, January 5th, 2009
How long is your dragon? Probably around 17"
What is the sex of your dragon? Male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 4x2x2' custom viv
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? tile
Do you use UVB lights? Yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? ZooMed, ReptiSun 10.0, 24"
How old is your UVB bulb? 4mo
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? something around 10"
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? 50w halogen and a 60w CHE
What are the basking temps? 97-103*F
What is the cool side temp? 78-82*F
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? tempgun
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? highest spot on the basking rock.
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? No
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. 60 adult crix per week, 20 mealies per week, salads every day
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? Once a day, usually around 3-5:00pm
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Yes, I feed the crix with beardie food pellets.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? Yes, RepCal's herptivite and phosphorous-free calcium with D3
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? not as much as usual; he isn't eating as much as usual.
Do you bath your dragon? How often? daily
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? I give him a large water bowl
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? No

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Sry I am just now getting back to u...I only have access to internet while I'm @ work. Is there any way for u to post a pic of your enclosure? I am just curious about the lighting & want to make sure I understand. U def have the correct UVB which is great! I am getting confused tho when u are naming 2 kinds of lights for the basking spot? I am not sure of what the CHE light is. U should have one basking light on one side of the enclosure so that your Beardie can move to the other side of enclosure to cool off if he/she gets too hot. Is the Halogen a Mercury Vapor Bulb? If so, u should be using the calcium w/ no D3 because the MVB helps with this & too much D3 can be toxic. Sorry to ask so many questions about the lighting. I don't use the Mercury Vapor Bulbs & have never heard of the CHE light. lol

If possible, please provide pics when u have a moment...it could help a bit;)

~Sandy

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
CHE=ceramic heat emitter; it doesn't give off light. It gets really cold here at night, so the CHE helps a lot. The halogen bulb is just a normal basking light that doesn't give off UV.

Good news! He's starting to eat again, slowly but surely. About 10 roaches a week. He doesn't sleep as much as usual either. I tried adding calcium to his babyfood and he still ate it. Hooray. :blob8:

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Oh! Ceramic Heat Emitter! Duh! lol...sry I guess I was being a bit slow! :laughhard:
How cold does your house get at night? Just asking because I am wondering if the heat emitter may be keeping him up (as they need a period to cool down at night). I would def use the heat emitter if the house drops below 60 degrees but if not, I don't think it is necessary. Or maybe u can get a emitter with a lower wattage? Hmm. Glad to hear he is starting to eat again!! That's great!

~Sandy

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
A few months ago it was below 60 at night, but now it's much warmer, so I have it off most of the time now.

He ate 5 large roaches today!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think at this point, that you will need to switch to liquid calcium for him, instead of the powdered calcium. He will absorb it much more efficiently than the powdered calcium right now. The liquid works much better with metabolic bone disease cases.
Your Reptisun 10 is 4 months old, in a month or so you should go ahead & switch the light out. Perhaps you should think about using a Megaray or a T-rex active UV heat for stronger UVB lighting.

Tracie

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks! I will check out some liquid calcium. Do you feed it to them with an eye-dropper or syringe, or do you add it to their food?

I am looking into getting a new UV fixture; probably a MegaRay.

I think [hope] he's mostly over it. I'm going to get a fecal check done this week; he and my ball python have both been slacking on eating, and my BP has been on RI meds for a month and isn't getting over it... anyways, I'm going to check them for parasites.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The liquid calcium can be given via a dropper or a syringe, but it does need to be dosed according to the weight. You could add it to the food after you measure it out, not a problem.
Great, if you are going to get a mercury vapor bulb be sure to get a ceramic based fixture rated 2 times the wattage to support the wattage of the bulb.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom