material do's and Don'ts

Status
Not open for further replies.

budzoboy

Hi everyone
although its a ways off, I want to start designing my new viv...planning on a free standing 60" x24" x 24". I am planning on using glued planking for the floor, possibly lexan sides, and drop down lexan fronts
what wood can I use and NOT use..
was considering covering the base and side with fiberglass sheets

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would use untreated plywood for most of it because it's relatively light. The big tanks can get quite heavy in a hurry. Then you can coat it with polyurethane to protect it from moisture. That would save you from having to put down fiberglass. Clear lexan can work for windows but keep in mind that while it's cheaper it's more susceptible to scratching and might not look so great after a while.

budzoboy

Original Poster
Morning
thanks..the planking I was looking at are actually stock glued up tabletops you find at Lowes or Home depot. thought it would be a good starting base.
what about "Plasti-coat" as opposed to "poly-urethane"?
as for the sides..i found "Plexi-glass" scratches more than "Lexan" Lexan is the pricier of the two

Thank you for the reply!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure about plasticoat. I haven't heard of it. As long as it is non-toxic it should be OK to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom