Massive crix die off

Status
Not open for further replies.

burt1016

Juvie Member
For the past 5 Or so orders from ghanns, nearly 800 of the 1000 crix are dying off. Around 50 or more a day die. I keep them in a large plastic tub with 24 hour access to water gel and feathered zard staple. I kept crix like this for a very long time without any problem, but mos of the crix just die mow. Te crickets turn over onto their backs, and their legs twitch from time to time if they're disturbed. I remove these weird paralyzed crix every day. Help :(!!

(bear with my spelling I'm on a phone)

Have you washed the tub out lately? Or did you recently wash it and maybe not rinse it out well enough? I'm wondering if something toxic might have gotten in to your container...
The other thing I will say is that plastics break down over time, and any exposure to higher-energy light (UV) only accelerates that process.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I think a call to Ghanns is in order, find out if they are having any troubles with their crickets. If the supply is good then you might look into replacing the tub and everything inside, probably even the food supply. Something is making them sick and completely redoing their home is probably the fastest/easiest way to to fix it.

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
I just heard from the breeder I get my crickets from that there is another bout of disease hitting the cricket farms. That may be the reason.

burt1016

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I wash out the tub every new-order of crickets with a garden house and set it outside in the sun to dry...I could ask ghanns if they are having issues with their crickets. Has anyone else using ghanns experienced anything like this?

I have been having this problem lately too. Last week I ordered 2000 hoping I could get more time out of an order, but no. 70-80% die off. I need to place another order already and we only have one beardie who is not even an adult. Throwing money down the drain.

RexsMom

I own a pet supply store and we order our crickets from Ghann. About 3 weeks ago most of our 2000 crickets died too, we called Ghann and found out that it is because of the heat. Crickets can't sweat so when it gets hot out they end up with water under their shells and it kills them. Since we found out about this we now ask them when we call to order how hot it is there and we have them hold our shipment until temps are below 90 degrees and we have not had this problem since. Hope this help!

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Ghann's has been confirmed to have the virus, shut down their facilities earlier this year to remove all their insects, and have recently started over again with the Jamaican field crickets. I'm guessing if you order crickets from them now, you'll be getting the new, parasite free crickets.

I would also recommend the roaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom