MASSIVE BIG NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!! suggest you all read

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
This is great! Thanks for the links all. I will have to figure out something to successfully attach it to our girls' tank. I'm set up for the mega ray 60 watt eb setup but I need replacement bulbs, accidents destroyed the ones I bought a couple of years ago but the new ones aren't available yet and it's too hot where I live to use the regular Mega ray 100 watt SB bulb, our girls don't like it much over 100f yet the good T-rex we had made it at about 120f in the middle of the day in the summer and I have been told the Mega ray 100 watt sb gets things hotter then the t-rex.

YBS0502

Hatchling Member
Venutus1":1z0mup9p said:
YBS0502":1z0mup9p said:
i have ordered a HO ballast for the t5 will replace regular output ballast that came with the fixture i got from lowes. all for around 60 bucks if this helps anybody :)
Good idea!
But....
It was a T-5 nominal output fixture to start ... right? :?:
Just checking to make sure folks know that the end sockets for T-5 are smaller than a regular flo. light end sockets,
so...
You can not just do a ballast swap in a regular t-8/ t-10 fixture.
Let me know how it comes out!
Cheers.
Todd
LightYourReptiles.com
yes it is a t5 fixture to start with i made my own vivs they are 6Lx3Wx2H THE BALLAST Sylvania 49136 QTP2X54T5 HO UNV PSN HT is the one i went with i have 2 dragons the double t5 fixture at lowes is around 27 bucks i will have to customize one of my t8 fixture to have 2 separate light fixtures 1 for each viv i will take 1 set of t5 ends out of the double fixture from lowes and run the wire and put them in the t8 fixture i cut down to the right size to get them to fit it is going to take some work but should not be that bad with the right tools ocsillating cutters are awesome tools and possibly a drill :D

Venutus1

YBS0502":2so6c20a said:
Venutus1":2so6c20a said:
YBS0502":2so6c20a said:
i have ordered a HO ballast for the t5 will replace regular output ballast that came with the fixture i got from lowes. all for around 60 bucks if this helps anybody :)
Good idea!
But....
Just checking to make sure folks know that the end sockets for T-5 are smaller than a regular flo. light end sockets,
so...
Cheers.
Todd
LightYourReptiles.com
yes it is a t5 fixture to start with i made my own vivs they are 6Lx3Wx2H THE BALLAST Sylvania 49136 QTP2X54T5 HO UNV PSN HT is the one i went with i have 2 dragons the double t5 fixture at lowes is around 27 bucks i will have to customize one of my t8 fixture to have 2 separate light fixtures 1 for each viv i will take 1 set of t5 ends out of the double fixture from lowes and run the wire and put them in the t8 fixture i cut down to the right size to get them to fit it is going to take some work but should not be that bad with the right tools ocsillating cutters are awesome tools and possibly a drill :D

well... I shouldn't have worried... sounds like someone has it all under control!! :D
Have at it!

YBS0502

Hatchling Member
got my bulbs today very well packaged ballasts comes tomorrow then i can get started thanks todd have a good one

Venutus1

YBS0502":bejg2fl9 said:
got my bulbs today very well packaged ballasts comes tomorrow then i can get started thanks todd have a good one
You Go!
Post a pic whenyour done? hmm?
:D

lilacdragon

Hatchling Member
Hi, WaveCarver.

I think the length might be correct as these lengths (22" and 34") are standard for T5 as far as I know... the length of the fixtures being 24" and 36" because the extra inch each end is for the lamp-holder part....
at least that's what I thought when I looked at them... (Can someone confirm this, please??)

BUT this model is no good - it is not a "High Output" T5 fixture.
Although it doesn't actually say so on the advert, which is bad...
If you read the "reviews" someone says:
"2 lamps totaling 42 watts"
So this 36-inch unit runs two 21-watt lamps.

But T5 High-Output (HO) tubes, length 34 inch, are 39 watts EACH, so a double fixture needs to have a capacity of 78 watts.
The 42-watt unit won't cope with HO tubes.

There should be plenty of HO T5 fixtures for aquaria as well as for growing plants.
Look for specs like this:
http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-2-Foot-Single-Lamp-T5-Light.asp
You can even get ones with stands, so they could go over the end of a tank (the unit can be bought without the stand, too)
http://shop.bkfarms.com/2-jump-start-grow-light-sys/

Best of luck, and please keep on posting your findings! (Everyone wants to find these now!)
Frances

DB13

lilacdragon":16ukzzp8 said:
Hi, WaveCarver.

I think the length might be correct as these lengths (22" and 34") are standard for T5 as far as I know... the length of the fixtures being 24" and 36" because the extra inch each end is for the lamp-holder part....
at least that's what I thought when I looked at them... (Can someone confirm this, please??)

As the owner of several aquariums I can tell you that you are correct. I have a 36" Hagen Glo fixture in which the bulbs are 34". T5-HO bulbs/fixtures are like this as well but their output is significantly greater (higher PAR levels) for the purpose growing aquatic plants or lighting reefs for coral growth.

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
Hey, I work at a hydroponics store. We sell the HO t5 fixtures. If you can't find one and are interested in
having me ship you one I would be more than happy to do it. The 2 foot fixture is $35.00 and the 4 foot
is $48.00. They come with a regular grow lamp that I could buy back from you and refund part of that
amount. That would make the 2 ft. $30.00 and the 4 ft. $40.00 plus shipping.
Give me a call at the store if your interested, ask for Amy
Ladybug Indoor Gardens (541) 245-6033

CaptainVimes

Hatchling Member
TeethandClaws":jn4eilx7 said:
for the T5 arcadia, you need the t5's uvb starter unit.
so you'll have to change it all. the reason is because its very high wattage and the t5 tubes are slimmer in diameter than the old ones

i use the arcadia t5 uvb starter unit for the tube, the regular t8s can go with any starter unit i think
the 39 watt tubes are suitable for 3ft vivs/40 gal breeders ( i think thats what you call em)
the 54 watt tubes are suitable for 4ft vivs / 55 gal breeders.

I don't know where you got your information from, but it's not quite right....

I was told by an official arcadia rep that a 3ft enclosure should have the 22" (24W) tube - to give a small area of no direct UVB, giving the dragon somewhere to SHADE from the UV, as they can see UV, they know how much they are getting and KNOW when they've had enough.

Going by this rule, then the 4ft enclosure would have the 34" (39W) tube...

and the 5ft, would have the 46" (54W) tube..

If you wish to query this, then you can contact ARCADIA JOHN on the reptile forums UK, forums.

CaptainVimes

Hatchling Member
Venutus1":g3p217ka said:
YBS0502":g3p217ka said:
Venutus1":g3p217ka said:
YBS0502":g3p217ka said:
Good idea!
But....
so...
Cheers.
Todd
LightYourReptiles.com

well... I shouldn't have worried... sounds like someone has it all under control!! :D
Have at it!

The T8 are MAGNETIC controllers, the T5 are ELECTRONIC controllers. I don't think you can mix the two?

lilacdragon

Hatchling Member
Hi, Captain Vimes.

Don't worry about YBS0502's set-up, it is fine.
He wrote: "THE BALLAST Sylvania 49136 QTP2X54T5 HO UNV PSN HT is the one i went with". I checked this out, it is listed on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-49136-QTP2X54T5-Fluorescent-Ballast/dp/B002OMCHVC
It is a 2 Lamp Universal Voltage PROStart Programmed Rapid Start Quicktronic Electronic Fluorescent Sylvania Ballast for 54 watt T5 HO Fluorescent Sylvania Light Bulbs

That is fine; if you read what he wrote again, I am sure what he meant was that he was customising his old fixture (ie., the actual fluorescent tube holder) by re-wiring his new T5 ballast into it in place of his T8 magnetic one, and swapping T8 pin connectors for T5 ones.
This is not a suitable procedure for anyone with no electrical experience to do, but it should work just fine....

Your lovely UK twin T5 Arcadia electronic ballast with endcaps is not yet available in the USA. Hopefully, it soon will be.... along with their single T5 ballast for folks who only want one tube.

You are absolutely correct about the suitable lengths for the different size tanks, as there should always be a UV gradient, with the tube over the basking zone and extending some way down the tank towards the cool end, but never actually reaching it - there must be a UVB-free shady area there, as you say.

Best wishes,
Frances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom