*Male* gone wild?? pacing/blackbearding/bobbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

discojan

Juvie Member
Hello all,

We recently determined our 1 yr old dragon, Salsa, is male and not female (by performing the sexing ritual of tail lifting). He is head bobbing/black bearding like mad, and especially if he ever catches a glimpse of our older female dragon, Electra.

Tonight he started pacing around the cage and running back and forth, bobbing all the while. I"m guessing this is normal spring-time male behavior, but wanted to make sure. I took him out and let him run around. He put his black beard away and stopped bobbing, and seemed to tire himself out and curled up in a corner to rest.

the only thing that concerns me is that he hasn't eaten very much the last few days....Is this normal?

Any insight from more experienced owners would be greatly appreciated!
Best wishes, J

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's all very normal, and will go on most likely for months. Even seeing their own reflection can cause beardie berserkness.

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
What about the reduced appetite? HOw long does Spring Fever last? Also, what is normal adult weight for a male of 19-20 inches. He's holding steady in the 385-408g range.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, food is not really on their minds at this time. He's pretty long and lean at his size and age, but there's no need to worry.

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks AHBD....He had a rough go early in life with repeated bouts of Coccidia, though thankfully now he is clear, and just a bit spoiled. I hope his appetite returns soon. Anything we can do to ease his hormonal discomfort?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I know it's a little upsetting for some owners to see their male beardies in the " breeding on my mind" trance. Nothing you can really do but wait it out. One thing to do is keep all other beardies out of his sight.....they can even see if a tiny bit of the other dragon's cage is in view [ they have good eyesight] But the behavior continues even when no dragons are in sight, but it really drives them crazy if any other dragon is in view.

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Poor guy is just hot and bothered I guess. :) It's raining out today and he seems a bit calmer, mainly because he gets one on one time with me :)

jon21388

Juvie Member
Yea my male is going crazy right now also. I let him outside of his viv and hes headbobbing at stuffed animals, my tv, me, pretty much everything. I need to get this on video. It is my first time having a beardie during the mating season so I have no experienced any of this. Its usually a pretty funny sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom