Male dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff22

Hatchling Member
So when I was putting food in my roach bin, I seen two *adult males sitting ontop of one of the egg crates. One of them looked really small I was like wtf why is he so much shorter then that other one. As I looked closer I noticed that his wings were chewed up from the back I mean, they were chewed up pretty good like 1/4 of an inch or so.....

I keep food in there at ALL times usually two different kinds, and they get there fruits and veggies every few days..

My questions:

Why is this happening ?
What can I do to stop it ?

EclpsPrinc

Juvie Member
How is the humidity in the bin? Also, do you have a water source such as water crystals? I've read they will start to chew on each on other if the food and/or water source is low. Kind of a 'survival of the fittest' situation. When I first got my dubias, I had a couple of chewed up males. I made sure to increase the humidity and now I haven't seen any others.

billybobboonbear

Hatchling Member
humidity isn't relevant to chewed up wings. your problem in protein. the roaches are eating the wings b/c that is where roaches store excess protein. you need to up the protein content of you food. try chicken feed (not scratch) it has a TON of protein compared to other standard feeds for cockroaches. i use 2 parts chicken feed, 1 part cat food, 1 part baby rice flakes as a bulk feeder with fresh fruits and veggies on the side.

clear

Sub-Adult Member
billybobboonbear":b1e23 said:
humidity isn't relevant to chewed up wings. your problem in protein. the roaches are eating the wings b/c that is where roaches store excess protein. you need to up the protein content of you food. try chicken feed (not scratch) it has a TON of protein compared to other standard feeds for cockroaches. i use 2 parts chicken feed, 1 part cat food, 1 part baby rice flakes as a bulk feeder with fresh fruits and veggies on the side.

Exactly, protein. You could also use a high quality dog food, I use royal canin for my dogs, so the roaches get this also.

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
Can you post a picture?

It sounds like a molting issue, the wings didn't unfold completely due to low humidity. Low protein is fine....their native diet barely has any. Too much protein can and will kill them with a stomach blockage, although this is rare.
Additionally, male roaches will munch on each others wings when competing for a female.

I really need to see a pic, as sometimes a bad molt can look like the wings have been eaten off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom