Male Dubia finally figured out they can fly....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
And they've been hanging onto the screen upside down. I hear their wings flutter and it's driving me INSANE. I just peeked into my bin seeing 5 males all trying to climb and fly up and grip the screen.

They can't bite through the mesh right?!?! Why in the world are they doing this?! I'm going to have nightmares thinking they're crawling on me or something :(

:puke: I still hate and fear bugs.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Oh my... That sounds super creepy. I hate roaches. I don't have the stomach to have them in my house. You are way braver then me :)

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
I wouldn't think that they could chew through the screen. Maybe there are too many males in the bin? I had to put on gloves and go through and thin out the males, froze close to 25 because there were more males than females at one point.

NatashaDawn

Hatchling Member
Froze them? Does this kill them for thawing and feeding later or are they like lady bugs and when thawed out are still healthy and alive to breed and grow?

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Freezing kills them, then I throw them out. I don't have a beardie big enough to eat them. You have to keep the male population down or they will fight with each other instead of breeding.

NatashaDawn

Hatchling Member
Maybe that is what is happening with mine.. I think I have as many breeding males as females, though thats how my starter kit was sold to me 30f/30m. I have had it a month and no babies yet.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
1 male for every 3-5 females is a good ratio. All the extra males do is fight and eat. If you have a lot of males that have chewed up wings, that is usually a sign that you have too many.

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I believe it takes over a month for breeding and releasing the nymphs. A colony doesn't really start moving till about 3+ months into it. Mine took about 5 (I also don't use a heat pad but got lucky because they've exploded in size plus lances roach chow probably helped since they exploded shortly after feeding it)
Also, you want a ratio of 4-5 females per male. Kill off the extra males. Too much stress and too many missing wings and such. The males in my colony seem to be takin over too. Ill try feeding the extras off

NatashaDawn

Hatchling Member
Indeed on the great minds. I really appreciate your time and responses :) I separated out the males and am trying to find a family member that could maybe use them for feeding. I counted and there was 26 of each exactly not including the larger ones that I couldn't sex yet. So I left 10/11 males and 26 females. Which I know is probably still too many, but Its a start and I chose all the males that didnt have any chewing on them... Probably the chewers lol

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
That ratio is ok until you get your colony up and running. Definitely will keep the fighting down! Good luck!

NatashaDawn

Hatchling Member
I appreciate it. I am hoping to order the 500 for 425 shipped from JDRoaches, if he gets back on and answers soon so that will give them more of a colony rather than just the 65 or less I have in all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom