Male and Female housed together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyrosmom

I think a lot about getting another baby beardie. Everyone says you can have females together but can't house males and females together... Well my uncle does. He has 2 full grown beardies. He had 4 living together as babies, but had to rehome 2 of the males when they started getting aggressive with one another. However, the male and female (who are now a few years old) have been living together in harmony ever since. In fact, the male is a little protective of the female. I was handling both of them and whenever I touched the female, he became very alert of what I was doing. Is this just a luck of the draw thing? Or is it because they were raised as babies together? Or is it normal that a male and female can live together? She has laid eggs once but they never hatched- not sure if that's relevant to asking if I cplus house 2 beardies together, but it's extra information.

Spyrosmom

Original Poster
Gormagon":39eeewj7 said:
It is not wise to house them together in any combination. That is all I am going to say!
He must have just gotten lucky with his combination of these two particular beardies I suppose. Plus mine is 6 months now so introducing a baby female could be disastrous

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Spyrosmom":4efyyevg said:
Gormagon":4efyyevg said:
It is not wise to house them together in any combination. That is all I am going to say!
He must have just gotten lucky with his combination of these two particular beardies I suppose. Plus mine is 6 months now so introducing a baby female could be disastrous
I would not take that chance

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Are they Rankins or C entrals (the beardies your uncle has housed together) ?

Rankins are commonly found in colonies and often housed together 1m with a few f.

I would advise against housing two centrals together , even a mixed pair (m + f) (UNLESS they are in a HUGE (I mean huge , maybe 8ft long x 4ft wide enclosure with lots of basking spots and lots of hides so the female has an opportunity to hide from , get some piece from the male)).

Practice here (in Australia is centrals are housed separately, and males only introduced to the female in order to let them mate (so only temporaily housed together).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Spyrosmom":3igrxtoa said:
Gormagon":3igrxtoa said:

I agree - at the very LEAST the tiny hatchling will be dominated and will be extremely stressed , and with such a large size difference .
The tiny hatchling is very likely to disappear one day as it will become a snack for the larger (hungry) beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom