*Making off* Custom viv [pic heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got some request to post the making off my custom viv, so I decided to translate it for you and here it is :)
Note: I've had this setup for about 5 years after my beardie Jaymz died in 2009 :( After that I decided to throw it all away and start over.
Now I'm in the process of building a new egyptian style viv. I will post pictures of this after I pass the "experimenting-fase" :p

Anyway, here is the making of my old viv:

It's 80x24x20 inches in size and all glass except the lid, thats wood ( forgot wich kind hehe ). I've drilled almost 500 holes in the top for ventilation. I'll post a pic of that later.
This all cost me about 90 euro ( about 135 dollar, and I have to say, the lid was sponsored by my dad ), it's nice to know some people who work in a glass factory :D The black cornerstrips and glass-rails were more expensive than the glass itself hehe.

I used polyurethane foam ( the expandig kind ) and lots of it! I sprayed it on a garbagebag ( you can easily pull it off afterwards )

Fase 1: Spraying the foam for the backwall
Achterwand1.jpg

A side-wall
Achterwand2.jpg

A plateau
Achterwand3.jpg

Fase 2: Tile adhesive ( I think you call it grout? )

Achterwand1-1.jpg

We filled the holes, so no crickets or superworms can get through.

Achterwand1-2.jpg

Achterwand1-3.jpg

Achterwand1-4.jpg

Starting to take shape!
A side-wall and one of the plateaus, almost ready to paint.
Here are 2 layers of grout, another one added later.
Achterwand2-1.jpg

Achterwand2-2.jpg

Everything... Luckily my dad enjoyed it, so he didn't mind all the mess in the attick :D

Achterwand2-3.jpg

I used this as reinforcement, because of the length of the viv, the wooden lit would slighty bend and obstruct the glass sliding doors.
This would later become one of Jaymz' favorite places to "hang" out :)

Achterwand2-4.jpg

"Scratching pole"
Achterwand2-5.jpg

Fase 3: Paint ( I used a special paint called rust-oleum, it has no harmfull fumes, don't know wether you can get this in the US or somewhere else )
Achterwand4-1.jpg

Achterwand4-2.jpg

Achterwand4-3.jpg

Achterwand4-4.jpg

The result:
Achterwand4-5.jpg

Fase 4: Le Grande Finalle
Achterwand5-1.jpg

Behind this is the UVB
Achterwand5-2.jpg

Achterwand5-3.jpg

Achterwand5-4.jpg

Achterwand5-5.jpg

Achterwand5-6.jpg

Achterwand5-7.jpg

Achterwand5-8.jpg

Later I added some more sand ( I know you ppl here don't like sand, but here in The Netherlands EVERYONE uses sand... ) and also a hiding place:

Jaymzpan.jpg

I later buried him under this roofing-tile, he always liked it so it felt appropriate to use it for his grave, still miss him to date ( R.I.P Jaymz 2001 - 2009 ).

I will post some pics of Jaymz now :)

Jaymz-5.jpg

Jaymz1.jpg

Jaymz-1.jpg

Jaymz-2.jpg

Jaymz-4.jpg

Wow, you're still reading this far? Thanks :D

MetallicatTim

Original Poster
Thx, my next one will be an egyptian theme. I'm planning a pyramide wich includes a hide, a sort of sacrifical altar, obelisk, and I'm looking around for various egyptian statues for decoration.
Gonna take a couple of weeks I think. Right now I'm still in the experimenting fase, to see wich building material I should/can use.

rafa2k

Hatchling Member
wow what a great idea with the spray foam. I was actually going to buy some thick foam today and hand carve it out to get the ridges and stuff I wanted. This seems like it would be much easier and faster.

Thank you for sharing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom