Making a 36x18x18 - first timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CliffsMom

So, I'm making a new enclosure for my almost 1 year old beardie and have some questions. Keep in mind, I've never built anything before!

Supplies I've come up with:
-18" x 18" plywood x2 (left and right sides)
-18" x 36" plywood x2 (bottom and back)
-18" x 36" glass for the front

Here are my questions:
-What kind of glass or plastic should I use for the front, and where would I find it?
-How thick should the glass/plastic be?
-How thick should the plywood be?
-How should I attach this plywood? Are nails/screws going to work for that? Or is there like wood glue or something I can use?
- How should I attach the glass/plastic?
- Can I use tile on the floor? Should I add substrate of some kind - I am currently using paper towel since I can't find one I like - on top, or is the tile sufficient? If so, what kind of tile should I use?

I already have a basking light and fixture (75W Halogen flood light) and a matching light fixture that I am currently using for my UVB light that I'm going to use for a second warming light. I'm going to get a longer UVB light to stretch across more of the tank.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks!
Catherine and Cliff

SnowDog

CliffsMom":2bgz676l said:
So, I'm making a new enclosure for my almost 1 year old beardie and have some questions. Keep in mind, I've never built anything before!

Supplies I've come up with:
-18" x 18" plywood x2 (left and right sides)
-18" x 36" plywood x2 (bottom and back)
-18" x 36" glass for the front

Here are my questions:
-What kind of glass or plastic should I use for the front, and where would I find it?
-How thick should the glass/plastic be?
-How thick should the plywood be?
-How should I attach this plywood? Are nails/screws going to work for that? Or is there like wood glue or something I can use?
- How should I attach the glass/plastic?
- Can I use tile on the floor? Should I add substrate of some kind - I am currently using paper towel since I can't find one I like - on top, or is the tile sufficient? If so, what kind of tile should I use?

I already have a basking light and fixture (75W Halogen flood light) and a matching light fixture that I am currently using for my UVB light that I'm going to use for a second warming light. I'm going to get a longer UVB light to stretch across more of the tank.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks!
Catherine and Cliff

You might want to use plexiglass for the front and 1/4" is plenty. Your local building supply store should carry it.
Instead of using plywood take a look at Melamine...it's basically plywood covered in formica and will make cleanup and sterilization much easier. 5/8 or 3/4" would work but it will be heavy when built.
Screws will work alone but for more strength you can use glue or liquid nails for the joints.
For the plexiglass you can build a track out of wood or if you get lucky you can find a plastic track and have 2 sliders like a patio door.
I'm still looking for some rather coarse tiles to have in the tank to help wear down it's nails.
I have a build thread in the DIY forum just under this one titled "entertainment center viv" that shows the build that I just did for mine.
I can post up closer or more detailed pictures of anything you want in that thread just ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom