Magnetic vs Electric Ballasts for T5/T8 Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is in reference to this locked topic: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=140791

Just got a new 67 Gallon terrarium for the little guy and followed the guide above for a ballast for my 24" reptisun 10.0 T8 bulb.

I did this because the 30" Reptisun Terrarium hood from PetSmart was $70 in the store. That's significant savings when I paid around $20 for the ballast and wiring. Took about 15 minutes to setup and works like a charm.

Now here are the issues,

What I believe to be true about Magnetic Ballasts,
1. These cheap ballasts are magnetic.
2. They are not energy efficient.
3. They make noises.
4. They supposedly wear and tear on the bulbs and the UVB output faster.
5. They can cause the bulb to flicker
5. They are cheaper than electronic

What I believe to be true about Electronic Ballasts,
1. They are more expensive than magnetic
2. They are more energy efficient
3. They do not flicker the bulb
4. They will save the life of the bulb and make it's UVB output last longer
5. They do not make the humming noise!

So in summary, why are we not using electronic ballasts?
I'm about to order this on Amazon and return my magnetic ballast to lowes. It's $40 online verses $70 in the store. I can swallow this price for the ballast but not the in store price.
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun%C2%AE-Terrarium-30-Inch/dp/B003U836WS/ref=pd_bxgy_199_img_y

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I think all T5 ballasts are electronic. I like the T5 much better for many reason but anyway.

I think you'll find most people use magnetic ballasts because they are cheep. The most common advice is to use a cheep under-cabinet fixture from walmart or such, stick it to the wall and call it good. There are many reasons that this isn't great advice, but you can't beat the price. =\

Also, an engineered reflector will usually serve much better than anything out of cardboard and foil tape. But again, cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom