Maggots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading some posts where people are feeding maggots to their beardy. GROSS! :puke:

I can deal with crickets, roaches and worms - BUT I CANNOT DEAL WITH MAGGOTS.

End rant.

Oh, and my silk worm order should be arriving today and my roach colony is prospering pretty well.

But maggots.... gross. Especially when they are in my trash cans. Just gross.

onceblue

Hatchling Member
Do you mean black soldier fly larva?

Honestly they aren't so bad. They're just like small worms and they're super easy to care for and high in calcium. They just sit in a small container and don't need to be fed or anything.

I don't mind them at all. My beardie isn't so crazy about them, though. He'll eat them only occasionally, which I find interesting because a lot of beardies love them.

But hey, everyone's different! I personally can't stand crickets, haha.

EightFingers

Original Poster
I more so mean the maggots from normal house flies that make homes in my trash cans. They are super gross, maybe because there are trillions in numbers.

premammalian

Hatchling Member
House fly larvae are sometimes used for reptile food, but not often, as they require a dirty from the human viewpoint medium to reproduce. But black soldier fly larvae or pheenix worms are another type of maggot. They are high in calcium and very easy to keep or store. They are dry to the touch, don't think they are slimy or in any way disgusting, and they are quite hard, so they won't squash on your hand. My dragon loves them, I find it strange that some dragons do not eat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom