Lump on beardies neck

Hello everyone,
I bought my bearded dragon around Christmas time, I figure he is about 3 months old or so. At the beginning of February, I noticed he has a bit of a lump under his beard. I tried researching and did read that they could store food in their throat but i dont believe thats the case. The lump hasn't really went down at all. Some days its not super noticeable but its definitely always there. When I run my finger under his beard, its very soft and doesn't seem to be causing him any pain or discomfort. His behaviour hasn't changed at all, He is still active and eating very well. I believe his terrarium set up is adequate, I have him in a 40 gallon tank right now. I know my UVB needs to be upgraded as I just have the Zoo-med 10.0 compact bulb. I have the 24" Arcadia T5 kit on order. But anyways, I attached photos of his set up and the lump. Is this something I should be concenerned about? If anyone could shed some light on this, that would be much appreciated :) Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240203_141141.jpg
    20240203_141141.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240223_130820.jpg
    20240223_130820.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240223_130825.jpg
    20240223_130825.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240220_133226.jpg
    20240220_133226.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240220_133237.jpg
    20240220_133237.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240220_133429.jpg
    20240220_133429.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 19

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello everyone,
I bought my bearded dragon around Christmas time, I figure he is about 3 months old or so. At the beginning of February, I noticed he has a bit of a lump under his beard. I tried researching and did read that they could store food in their throat but i dont believe thats the case. The lump hasn't really went down at all. Some days its not super noticeable but its definitely always there. When I run my finger under his beard, its very soft and doesn't seem to be causing him any pain or discomfort. His behaviour hasn't changed at all, He is still active and eating very well. I believe his terrarium set up is adequate, I have him in a 40 gallon tank right now. I know my UVB needs to be upgraded as I just have the Zoo-med 10.0 compact bulb. I have the 24" Arcadia T5 kit on order. But anyways, I attached photos of his set up and the lump. Is this something I should be concenerned about? If anyone could shed some light on this, that would be much appreciated :) Thanks!
Its good you have the new UVB coming compacts are terrible and will cause all kinds of health issues- when you get the Arcadia please post back on here so we can help you get it set up for the tank - distance and placement will be determined by the screen on the tank --- please get two digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps - the ones you have now are giving ambient temps --- the bump looks like a cyst or abscess I am going to have ahbd take a look at it - if it is a cyst or abscess you will need a vet visit to have them take a culture of it so they can treat it -
@AHBD

blacksunflower1992

Original Poster
Its good you have the new UVB coming compacts are terrible and will cause all kinds of health issues- when you get the Arcadia please post back on here so we can help you get it set up for the tank - distance and placement will be determined by the screen on the tank --- please get two digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps - the ones you have now are giving ambient temps --- the bump looks like a cyst or abscess I am going to have ahbd take a look at it - if it is a cyst or abscess you will need a vet visit to have them take a culture of it so they can treat it -
@AHBD
Yeah I read that the compacts shouldn't be used. It's crazy that all the pet stores sell these "all you need" kits when it's not even adequate. Okay I will get those on order. I did use the thermometer in his basking area first just to make sure the temperature was good, then I moved it over to the middle. And oh no, that's not good :( I honestly didn't even think it would be something like that because it's so soft. I figured a cyst would be a harder lump. When I stroke his beard/chin, it's super soft and you wouldn't even know there's a lump there. Thanks for your help, I'll wait for a response and research some vets are in my area.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No way to tell for sure, edema [ water retention ] can be caused by a number of things. What are the temps. throughout the tank and how are you measuring them ? Basking spot needs to be about 105, ambient temps. vary from 80 to low 90's with a night temp. drop to 70 or so. Be sure your temps. are correct and proper uvb is also a must. You can have an experienced vet check him out to find out if medical attention is needed.
BTW, he looks older than 3 months, more like 5. Oh and nice looking set up but best to take the fake greenery out, many dragons will eat it because it looks like the real thing. That would cause problems too.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom