Lowering Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
We've had some pretty warm / humid weather here in Seattle, and I'm wondering if there are any tricks to lowering the humidity. Today's high temp was 82F, and the high relative humidity was 82%. Drapers viv was sitting between 40-65% today. Yesterday was 93F and 88% humidity. I think normal for Seattle this time of year peaks at about 50% in the afternoon (higher in the mornings for a couple hours).

I'm using paper towel substrate, there is never water in there (he gets baths regularly). We will be switching to tile soon.

I've tried placing a fan near the viv, and also put a sock full of rice in there. Not sure if it has effected the humidity in the viv at all. The ventilation is also adjustable. I've tried more ventilation, trying to get the humidity out. I've also tried sealing it off more, hoping that the rice and new paper towels would help absorb the extra moisture.

I ordered a small dehumidifier to put on top of the viv, as it's rather large. 5'x2'x2'.

Pics of the viv/setup here. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=174254

Should I be that worried if the humidity is high for a week or two out of the year? I have a feeling once Seattle gets to 'normal' humidity levels of around 50%, Drapers viv will be 20-40% at the highest.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yesterday the humidity actually got up around 70%.

Today I put in the dehumidifier and added a second light over the cool side. It's reading 43% about 3 hours later!

aronoiiel

I'd love to hear options to this question as well I live in Tacoma and the humidity is just insane :( I'm really at a loss it's been a solid 40% for three days now

stangbanger

Hatchling Member
Wild bearded dragons thrive and breed during the wet season... Often hunkering down in the dry arid summers... I wouldn't worry too much about 40% humidity... Provide proper basking temps and they should be fine... Also, humidity on your basking spot will be much lower than the rest of the enclosure, so having it a touch higher everywhere else will provide a slight gradient... Going up at night isn't a huge worry, it's completely natural, they often drink morning dew in their natural habitat from condensation

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
aronoiiel":krqnco94 said:
I'd love to hear options to this question as well I live in Tacoma and the humidity is just insane :( I'm really at a loss it's been a solid 40% for three days now

40% is perfectly fine, don't worry about it

kjinxx2":31ubi9y7 said:
Goodtruant":31ubi9y7 said:
Mine was rising as high as 75%, but since I put the portable dehumidifier in the viv it's much lower. In the last 24 hours the high was 45%, low 34%.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0XFCS/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01

Small enough to put in my viv, and also pretty much hidden.

Yeah, I've used the giant version of that for the past year :)
Does it tell you what the humidity leval is. Or do u need a seperate hygromitar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom