lotta wattage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Hello!

As it is now moving into the cooler season it is time to start messing with Spot's light set-up to get the correct temps. I am used to playing the trial and error game, but I've come to realize that I am using a wayy wayy lot of wattage!
I have a 55 gallon tank for spot that is covered with a woven wire lid (from PetSmart). ON TOP of the lid is a 100w MegaRay MVB in a deep dome fixture with a porcelain socket. Next to that, I have a 75w flood light. All of that makes up my basking spot, and currently temps are at about 90-93 degrees. On the end of the tank I have a 50w flood light and the temps reach 71-75. I know this is low... the reason that I got new lights and am about to experiment to get everything correct.
All together I am using about 225watts everyday to heat Spots tank, without the temperatures even being correct. I knew ahead of time that my electric was going to go up when I got her, but I didn't know if this number of wattage was common or not.

Second part of all of this.. If i were to cut holes in the top of the lid (the lid prevents heat from escaping) would my lights heat the tank more efficiently??? I am curious that if heat can't get OUT, can it get IN? could that be the reason that my temps are so low? I hope to find answers before I start cutting away at it, they are about $30 each and I'd hate to buy a new one if I dind't have to!

Thanks for you input in advance!

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Don't know if I have any answers, but just a couple of comments:

ErinMeetsMachine":37bb0 said:
Hello!
I have a 55 gallon tank for spot that is covered with a woven wire lid (from PetSmart). ON TOP of the lid is a 100w MegaRay MVB in a deep dome fixture with a porcelain socket.
First comment is that you have a woven wire lid that is keeping the heat "in", how much is it blocking "out" if the bulb is on top of it? 8)

All together I am using about 225watts everyday to heat Spots tank, without the temperatures even being correct. I knew ahead of time that my electric was going to go up when I got her, but I didn't know if this number of wattage was common or not.
Not exactly... with all of the lights on they are actually using "225 watts" just to be on. Electricity is typically billed in kiloWatt hours (1000 watts of "energy" running for an hour). If you run all the lights for an hour, it's .225kWh (225/1000) * 24 hours (as an example, plug in the numbers of hours per day they are on)= 5.4kWh a day x 30 days = 162 kwH. Average cost for kwH varies, but say it's .10, so it might be costing you ~$16 every month to run.

Second part of all of this.. If i were to cut holes in the top of the lid (the lid prevents heat from escaping) would my lights heat the tank more efficiently??? I am curious that if heat can't get OUT, can it get IN? could that be the reason that my temps are so low? I hope to find answers before I start cutting away at it, they are about $30 each and I'd hate to buy a new one if I dind't have to!

Rather than cutting the lid, are you able to replace it with something like a piece of plywood? You could cut whatever vents / holes you need, and then you wouldn't be ruining your expensive lid.

midwestreptiles

Hatchling Member
"Not exactly... with all of the lights on they are actually using "225 watts" just to be on. Electricity is typically billed in kiloWatt hours (1000 watts of "energy" running for an hour). If you run all the lights for an hour, it's .225kWh (225/1000) * 24 hours = 5.4kWh a day x 30 days = 162 kwH. Average cost for kwH varies, but say it's .10, so it might be costing you ~$16 every month to run."

Nice equation for figuring cost but wouldnt it be .225kWh (225/1000) * however many hours they are on per day vs. 24? Otherwise the sum is with 24 hour use for 30 days.

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
midwestreptiles":0c868 said:
Nice equation for figuring cost but wouldnt it be .225kWh (225/1000) * however many hours they are on per day vs. 24? Otherwise the sum is with 24 hour use for 30 days.

Good catch, I was trying to simplify it, but I should have mentioned that. :oops:

midwestreptiles

Hatchling Member
lol yea it looked wierd with the 24 in there... But thats a very handy equation for figuring monthly or even yearly cost of keeping or lights and heat on :) I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom