Lotion for a silkie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherryInFL

Hatchling Member
What kind of lotion do people with Silkies use? We have a new baby in the HOUSE! As soon as he settles in some we will post some pics and do a proper intro. He is in full shed right now so later he will get a bath. He is already eating which I am happy about. 2 meals down and 23 crickets total today! Of course Spike can't be out done so he has had 2 meals with a total of about 50 crickets so far. LOL gotta love a little poopers appetite!

Thanks for any advice on Silkies!

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Congrats on the new baby. :blob8: I can't wait to see pics! :blob8:

I am curious to know if you were advised to get the ReptiSUN 5 for the silkie, instead of the 10. I've heard that the 10 is too strong since their skin is so much thinner, so people are using the 5. I was just wondering if that is what all breeders are telling their customers to get or if there are conflicting opinions on that!

I was just talking with someone about the lotion and the need for help with shedding in the silk backs, and I think they used a cow udder cream!

SherryInFL

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have a 5 and a 10. I have the 10 in now because his light is above the screen. As soon as I can bring the light under the screen I am going to switch to the 10 unless you think the 5 is ok above the screen. I will get the lotion tomorrow. He is in shed now and had a bath.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
SherryInFL":2vl78rjq said:
I have a 5 and a 10. I have the 10 in now because his light is above the screen. As soon as I can bring the light under the screen I am going to switch to the 10 unless you think the 5 is ok above the screen. I will get the lotion tomorrow. He is in shed now and had a bath.

I don't have any experience with silkies at all, but they fascinate me. Their skin looks so delicate! :shock: You're so right that the screen blocks some UV...I wonder how much...? Silkies are so new still, I wonder about current care sheets and things in print that don't apply to them versus a regular beardie. I will be watching your new baby's thread so I can learn more about their care. :D

SherryInFL

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He is really very soft and smooth. Bizarre feeling but I'm smitten with him. I want to make sure he does well so if you come across anything about them please feel free to add to the thread! I know a few people here have silkies :blob5:

I use udderly smooth unscented udder cream for the two that i care for. I have been using it about once every 2 weeks sometimes more often depending on shed. I haven't had any problems with it and iv been using it for about 4 months now. You should be able to easily find it at any of your local pharmacies. Also you should definitely use the Reptisun 5.0 for them also the basking temps should be slightly lower than that of a normal beardie.

I'm very sorry for making you go through the trouble but the kind I use is actually labeled as lightly scented. Sorry for the mixup

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Geico is not a silkie but I use repti shed ease on him..it has emolients in the spray that soothes the skin/scales and helps them to shed a bit more easily and its made for reptiles..got it at petsmart. Geico doesn't itch as much when i use it and perks up a bit as it soothes the shed irritations. Hope this helps.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Pantherchameleon":3dob3swx said:
Hi,
I wanted to be honest and I messed up on my last post it's not mineral oil it's aloe gel for silks. When I was reading your topic I thought mineral oil because you use the oil for something for dragons. Just a mix up from me and am truly sorry. The aloe gel should be a lot easier for you to find. I been doing so much research lately on dragons and getting things mixed up.

Mineral oil is often given orally to help them if they are impacted or constipated. :D There really IS a lot to know, right? And with new morphs coming out like silkies and dunners....well, LOL. We are having so much more to know and remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom