Status
Not open for further replies.

Brieana

Hatchling Member
First off, here are the details:

His setup:
75 gallon
reptisun 10.0 tube
Basking area is 97 and his cool side is 83.

I bought him from a lady on Craigslist one week ago today.
He's a 2 year old male, previously kept in a 20 gallon long.
His diet has been a Dole Spring Salad mix and I suspect his favorite greens were the lettuces and spinach.
I finished out the bag they gave me, picking out the spinach, and at the end of the bag, he didn't eat much, because there probably weren't a lot of his favorite things left.
He was a little skinny when I brought him home, so I have been feeding him a lot of protein.
I've bathed him four times and his skin is still wrinkly. He refuses to drink, even if I drip water on his nose. I thought this issue would have sorted itself out by now with semi-regular baths, so I'm definitely buying some pedialyte today.

The night I brought him home, he got 4 medium dubias. He didn't touch his salad.
Last Monday, he had a big salad and gobbled down most of it. I mixed in a very small amount of banana.
The next night he ate most of his salad, plus 15 large crickets and 6 dubias.
Wednesday, he ate most of his salad like a good boy. He also had a little diced strawberry.
Thursday, was the last bit of his Dole mix and barely touched it at all. He got a small blackberry and ate that, plus 15 crickets and probably 20 wax worms.
Friday, I was going on an overnight trip and gave him collard greens for the first time, no fruit. I came back last night and it was totally untouched. I suppose it was unfair of me to spring a completely different food on him, but I thought he would get hungry and it would drive him to try something new.

I have yet to weigh him but it's obvious he lost the weight I put on him in the past week. I'm pretty frustrated with myself. While I was gone, he didn't poop once. But the poop he made on friday morning was HUGE. Probably because of the huge amount of bugs he ate Thursday. I'm going on a hunt today to look for good greens other than collards because up until now, I've had no luck.

The people I bought him from said they only fed him bugs once a week and he would probably eat crickets and mealworms until he exploded. I've just been buying 15 crickets at a time, but I do feel like he would be able to put away at least twice that in a sitting. I'm concerned I'm giving him too much protein, but he still acts hungry and hunts down the 15 in less than two minutes.
I'm thinking about picking up some superworms today on the way home from the grocery store.
I know I don't want to pack the weight on quickly, but in terms of bugs, he seems receptive to the idea. :lol:

As far as the possibility of him having parasites, I wouldn't doubt it. It sounds like he's never been to the vet. When I told his last owners that Lucy was a boy, they told me they bought him at petsmart as a tiny baby and they said he was a girl. Back when he was about 5 inches long. Anyway, his poop does smell really bad, but I have to hold it pretty close to my face before I smell anything. I'm concerned that may be the culprit for his dramatic weight loss.

So basically, this longh-winded post is one question. Is it normal for him to lose quite a bit of weight in three days? I know I'm making it hard on you because I didn't weigh him before or after. I'm extremely upset about there being such a huge change. Here is a photo:

11273mw.jpg

The picture on the left was two days ago on Friday morning. The one on the right, I took just now. :banghead:

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
I would suppose that even a two year old dragon could have some relocation stress. I would get a fecal done on him to be sure there are no parasites. Let us know how he is doing?
Good luck,
Kelly

koilover512

Hatchling Member
I would up the amount of bugs you give him. I provide mine with a greens everyday and I feed him about 40 to 50 crickets a week. I also put some Rep-Cal bearded dragon food with his greens. 75% of his diet should be greens the other 25% should be protein. I hope he starts putting on weight. Keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom