Lost Beardie Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

WOW, what a great story, I am so glad your mom found Drexel. :blob8: :blob5:
I am glad he is safe & sound at home with you now.

Tracie

Feline

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your support!!! I am extremely happy and relieved that he found his way back home. He's a very lucky little lizard, I must say!!! I have a glass front door and he keeps going toward there and scratching at the door, trying to escape again. I bet he had a blast outside. I suppose one month outside wasn't enough for him. I'm going to go to Jo-Ann's Fabric and Craft to find supplies for his harness. Soon enough, I'll find a simple way to post pictures on here. I wish I could just attach pictures from my phone on here.

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
Such a sad beggining & such a joyful ending!
I have lost both of my 4-5month old dragons each 1time. Just in my room. But literally I started tearing, & Im not someone to cry. I thought of the worst. That while looking for them I moved something and crushed them or stepped on them or something! Each time, I would find them happily sleeping. Once in my pillow case, which I threw that pillow about 4times across the room while looking for King. & once inbtwn this pannel stand thing sleeping. & literally I felt like the worse person & wanted cry my eyes out! So I know how you felt! Soo happy hes back!

jloucks

Yep, been there and done that. I found my lizard 5 months later. ...still just a fat, or maybe fatter, then when I lost him. These omnivorous lizards just wander around outside and eat whatever out of the garden until you run into them again.

I even lost a kingsnake once and found him later doing just fine. ...now THAT is even more amazing.

Lol, it sounds like I lose stuff left and right. It's not that so much as I have had probably 20 reptiles over the last 40 years. :p (over 100 if you count wild catch and release after a few months)

Momswims1

Juvie Member
That is an incredible story! I can't imagine how happy you must be. I would be so terrified that a cat or a dog would kill a dragon. It must have been smart enough to stay out of sight. That is just amazing. Give Drexel a kiss for me. Little smartypants!

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
Momswims1":36ibgdew said:
That is an incredible story! I can't imagine how happy you must be. I would be so terrified that a cat or a dog would kill a dragon. It must have been smart enough to stay out of sight. That is just amazing. Give Drexel a kiss for me. Little smartypants!
they are smart like that. Mr Dargon can see large birds in the sky that are about a mile away from him, he'll start to move really slow towards cover, or run underneath me if i am close enough.

i had to watch him like a hawk when we were in the backyard because i didn't want a bird flying off with him or one of the stray cats to make a meal out of him. i love cats, but i would chase them out of the yard. except for one, i had one stray cat who would just hang out with Dargon. it was cute, but i was still watching and waiting to chase him away too, lol.

they are pretty hardy, but i would never want to go through having him missing.

Glad to hear you found him! They can be quick little dudes.

I've lost mine a couple times by literally just glancing away from him while he was basking on a rock in my backyard. It's like he waits for me to turn my head and then he darts for cover.

For what it's worth, mine ALWAYS goes for bushes/shrubs and clings to the insides of the branches. It's always a PITA fishing him out, but at least I usually know where he's wandered off to :p

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
I am so glad you found him!!!

Please don't put his glass tank outside in the sun though. Even with the screen top, it can get very very hot in there (like a car). I have a harness for my guy, and it is great. You could also build an enclosure out of chicken wire or something similar to keep him safe while he gets some natural sunlight.

I read all these posts and my heart went up and down like a rollercoaster with each "lost" and "found" story. The best of all was when your little one was found. You must have been on cloud 9!!!

I know that you are going to be super extra careful, but PLEASE DON'T put him outside in a glass tank. The glass magnifies the heat of the sun and he can overheat and die in a very short period of time. I have known several people who intended to 'treat' their geckos or beardies to a little sunshine while keeping them safe in their tanks only to ended up with very sick or dead pets.

I bought an inexpensive ferret leash for my beastie from a pet store. I used a piece of string to measure around his neck and another to measure around his chest/back (between his front and back legs) and adjusted the leash before putting it on. It is about 4 feet long, and it is bright red so it's easy to see (they do blend in to the bush and grass, don't they!). The leashes they have through bd.org are also fabulous. Initially, I gave my Beastie a little treat (wax worms) once he was wearing it, and I let him roam around the house with it on a few times before taking him outside with it.

They are like children...the second you take your eyes off of them, they're gone. All the best to you and Drexel!

Feline

Original Poster
BeastiesMommy & AtlasStrike, you two are correct. I said I would put him in a glass tank outside but I haven't done that yet. I suppose it would be like sitting in a car on a sunny day where the temperature can skyrocket very rapidly. I don't want to cook him. I have an ABO cat tent that is scratch proof that I am using for him and my tortoises. I also have a very big, hollow, wooden reptile log that I put in the tent with him while he is outside basking to offer him some shade. The tent looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002KWHE1E/ref=redir_mdp_mobile
Even so I still supervise him like a hawk. I even sunbathe with him in the tent too, and also throw in a couple of cats when it's nice out. My cats don't care about the Beardie and the tortoises. :mrgreen:

Thanks sniches and jiveturkey40!!!
I think he took cover under the bushes or underground as well when the temperature was in the low 30s here. But believe me I searched for him in bushes, branches, and on trees but he was very well camouflaged. I can't believe how fast they are too when you turn away for two seconds!!! Even the search dog couldn't sniff him out!!!

Bunnyrut,
Yah we have a lot of indoor/outdoor cats here from the neighbors and I was so apprehensive that either the cats, the dogs, or the hawks and other wildlives would eat him or messed with him until he's dead meat. But luckily he knew where to hide and came out when it was really warm outside. Now it is cold again and there is news of frost possibly developing overnight so I'm very fortunate to have him back. My prayers were answered in due time and I am very grateful.

Mindy1& Momswims1,
Thanks!!! Yes, he is a smart little turd, and I love my little turd!!!

Jloucks,
I'm so glad you finally found your Beardie after several months!!! That's what i was afraid of, that I wouldnt be able to find him until the end of summer. I can't believe you found your kingsnake!!! That is an amazing story!!! I don't think we deliberately lose our pets. These darn reptiles are just curious about the outside world and so they have their escape all planned out and don't intend on coming back until their adventures have been fulfilled. So it's not your fault!!!

Bailey91990 & Eloisethelizard1,
I think I would tear up the entire house if I ever lose my Beardie inside. My Beardie sleeps right next to me at night so I can watch him even when I sleep. :mrgreen: Sometimes I let him sleep right inside my sweatshirt but I am very careful to not squish him. I am a light sleeper so he hasn't been squished yet.

Thank you everyone for your support!!! I really appreciate it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom