Lost Bearded Dragon in house

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkcirca

Hatchling Member
payledragon":2c0e6 said:
The worse lesson I've learned, NEVER, turn your back on a beardie, not even for 5 minutes to get your camera. :cry:

Or any other small animal for that matter!! We almost lost the savannah monitor tonight, as the fiance took his eyes off him for a few minutes (he was watching him as I cleaned). Thankfully he didn't go too far. He's still a juvenile, approx 1 ft long.

Hopefully you find your little one. I can't imagine losing any of my critters. That was enough of a scare for me.. I won't be leaving him in charge of the animals anymore!

oh my.......I hope you find your baby....sorry I have no advice to give but sending you good vibes that you find you baby soon.

maq678maq678

i jsut lost one of my beardies too.... that noisy bastard was making so much noise in the tank so i threw her on the couch for awhile and i remember right before i took my gf out to her car that she was sitting all proud with her head up high then i came back and couldnt find her........ geeeeeeee wizzzzzzz so she could be anywhere the doors on my room have a large nought gap for this 3 yr old dragon to go under.
Im worried she will freeze to death... because we have tile floors and there not warm i tore apart my room and couldn't find her in her normal spots.(in the coushins of the couch)

o well hopefully she will turn up ..... i know she willl ... but alive whould be better.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I just read your blog from Saturday, and I must say, if having your MIL over did the trick last time, then why not try again? I mean, wouldn't you rather put up with an hour of misery if you knew the end result would be ten-fold?

Look in the most unlikely places for him to hide in. Some people had found their beardies in the tightest of places, even if you don't think he could fit.

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
We thankfully have large dragons, so they can only get in so many places, but do you have any loose areas on the underside of your couch? (the tacking dust cover underneath?) Or any bookshelves (Crash likes the lowest bookshelf, he curls up unbelievably little for a 21+ inch dragon!).

Inside shoes? Behind the fridge? Stove? Behind the commode? DIRTY CLOTHES! Crash loves the warmth of the fresh clean laundry basket, but some beardies like any soft, dark surface, so maybe maybe? Oh my, my heart aches for you, I hope you find your baby soon!

We just realized our chubbalubs can fit under the recliner and also just squeeeeeeze behind the piano, so the beardie-point-of-view would be the best place to start!

I agree with whoever said a fragrant fruit -- Crash would reveal himself for cantaloupe, and Xena would some running and pounce if we left the hornworm bin on the floor. :mrgreen: Have faith, and keep a warm spot going!

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
I know this may sound odd, but have you looked up? Some dragons (including mine) like to climb. One member found hers hanging out on TOP of the curtains! :shock: He was huge and still had made it all the way up! He fell asleep up there and was quite happy.

We let Bogie have the run of the house. We keep an eye out and an ear. His naile click, click, click on the tile and wood floors. So far every time he has hidden we have found him. Have you looked around the computer wires? They stay slightly warm and are a nice spot for a dragon nap. The hardest place to spot Bogie was Katherine's dollhouse. It is full of dolls and little ponies. He looked like E.T. in the closet of stuffed toys. :lol: Check spots like that. They can blend in in odd places.
Good luck. We'll keep the little guy in our prayers.

Sandy and Katherine

sunfaye

Our berdie, named Rexy is only one years old so she's small. Only about 12" long from nose to tail. I adopted her about six months ago from a home where she wasn't fed properly. So she's just not growing to be very healthy and strong and now she goes and disappears on us. In the past when ever I let her out, she's always stayed close by and I could always find her, but this time she's just gone! We've looked everywhere I can think of. We have wood floors and our house is raised so the floors are very cold all the time. I checked the drapes and the computer but nothing. Tonight I'm going to buy some chicken and put it out and see if she comes to get it. I read that someone did that and it worked. Eventually she'll need to come out and eat.

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
sunfaye":fa8ce said:
Our berdie, named Rexy is only one years old so she's small. Only about 12" long from nose to tail. I adopted her about six months ago from a home where she wasn't fed properly. So she's just not growing to be very healthy and strong and now she goes and disappears on us. In the past when ever I let her out, she's always stayed close by and I could always find her, but this time she's just gone! We've looked everywhere I can think of. We have wood floors and our house is raised so the floors are very cold all the time. I checked the drapes and the computer but nothing. Tonight I'm going to buy some chicken and put it out and see if she comes to get it. I read that someone did that and it worked. Eventually she'll need to come out and eat.

Try the light idea trust me it really works. Take a rock put it on the floor and hang a light over top of it. I did this when my uro got loose and when I got up to go the the bathroom there he was sleeping on the rock under the light. Oh and I think cooking the chicken in the house is a better way of doing it. Then the smell fills the house. Oh and do you have any power bars around the house? If so the beardie may be there. I have found one of my beardies when he got out sleeping on the power bar that powers my computer.

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
As one of the above posters said, don't just confine yourself to just looking under things. Many of them like to climb, and we've had members lose their beardies and find them asleep on top of drapery rods, hanging on window screens, sleeping on top of bookshelves, and inside potted real and artificial plants!

If you have any power strips behind appliances or furniture in your home, make sure to check there, as the heat from power strips tends to attract them. Also, look carefully at any place near your heater vents, which would be warmer than the rest of your house. Clean or dirty laundry also seems to attract them as they like to burrow under things like that to sleep. And if they can fit under any closet doors, make sure to check inside any shoes or slippers in the bottom of the closet.

Also, if you don't find him in a few days, don't give up too quickly. One of our members lost his beardie, and they found him 3 months later, happily brumating under a floorboard behind the kitchen stove, a little skinny and and a bit dehydrated, but none the worse for wear....

Its really amazing how long they can survive without food or water if they go into brumation, and it is the right time of year for it, so don't give up too quickly. Sooner or later he'll probably turn up!

sunfaye

ghr15":5364d said:
sunfaye":5364d said:

Try the light idea trust me it really works. Take a rock put it on the floor and hang a light over top of it. I did this when my uro got loose and when I got up to go the the bathroom there he was sleeping on the rock under the light. Oh and I think cooking the chicken in the house is a better way of doing it. Then the smell fills the house. Oh and do you have any power bars around the house? If so the beardie may be there. I have found one of my beardies when he got out sleeping on the power bar that powers my computer.

We don't have power bars, but I'll try the light and rock idea today and I'll cook chicken tonight. This is going to kill me though becuause I don't eat meat and I especially hate the smell of chicken. But I need to find our little girl, so we'll do whatever it takes. I'll write more tomorrow. Thanks for the great tips. I just love this website! So many nice people who really care.

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
Oh I just remembered something I had happen to me once that may be of comfort to some. I had this small gecko that got loose a month before I moved and I never found him and had to move. A month after that the person who moved in called me up and said he found a lizard he knew was mine since he seen I had a bunch of lizards when he went to loook at the place and knew it had to have been mine.

Even though he was skinny he was still alive he recovered and lived another 3 years which I had him about 5 years which is about how long the really small lizards live. A reptile can go 2 months without eating and survive. Ohh and do any of you have a bar fridge? I remember finding my uro curled up behind the motor of my bar fridge when he got out. Heard a noise from the fridge looked in the back and there he was. My uro has gotten out many times and I always found him. Sometimes faster then others but I always found him.

cheese

Hatchling Member
you should tri putting flour on the floor in most off the rooms off the house (just a couple of spots in each room) if he is close it is 75 percent chanse that he will leave foot prints on it and then those can lead u in some direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
617781l
Top Bottom