loss of smell? cornsnake having problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
hello
ok i was wondering if someone could give me some insight on this, heres the info -
his names Scales, he was my first ever reptile and bought him at 3 months old well hes now coming up 12 years old and has always ate well, his shedding and pooping all been fine. only once 5 years ago he went about 3-4 months without eating from april to june/july, took him to vets they just said he was a tad dehydrated, never did understand this as it wasnt hibernation nor breeding. (i dont hibernate him and he bred 3 times years ago)

anyway in december he suffered with pneumonia borderline septicemia, now i knew of reptiles getting RI's but he gave absolute no signs of anything wrong until it was that severe i actually thought he was just dying.
well x-rays, a lot of tlc and antibiotics and the vet gave him the all clear about a month or so ago, since then hes only ate small mice (hes 5'5" and 936grams), now ive been trying him every week with mice but he dont always eat them straight away, its kinda hard to explain, but its like he cant smell it, he has refused many many times since his ordeal also, well a week and half ago he finally ate a medium mouse and thought yes hes doing much better, he shed, he was extremely active, showed all the signs of looking for food, tried feeding him today (he shed yesterday early afternoon) he wont eat it, he seemed to be still looking for food though, he skitzing around his viv, tongue flicking, this is all what he does when looking for food ive put the mouse right in front of him he will tongue flick it then bypass it, and yet he should and probably is hungry. its like he cant smell or see it.
now when he had pneumonia, his whole mouth and gums were a blueish/ purplish colour and he really couldnt breathe, he was distending his whole body when he was trying to breathe, anyway i was wondering if this could have damaged his jacobson organ or the senses in is tongue? i dont understand it, this has never happened before, i still believe hes hungry and yet he doesnt seem to really realise theres a mouse right in front of him.

anyway now ive wrote you all an essay, could someone give me some insight on this please? any ideas at all? or is it he just isnt really hungry and hes doing something else? oh and hes lost a bit of weight also.
thanx for reading!

anny

PastorAaron

Juvie Member
I have to doubt that an RI of any severity could damage the Jacobsons organ or the tongue. It's probably more likely that it is a humidity or heat issue. What are your temps and humidity at?
If this continues I would think about getting him another check up as the infection may have taken hold again.
God Bless,
Aaron

Pleaides

Juvie Member
Original Poster
hello
thank you for replying!
ok his temps at warm end are between 83-87f, sometimes 90f but it doesnt go over 90f, cool end around 75-78f.
humidity around 55-58.
yea my vet knew a while ago that his eating was a bit all over the place, its been a while since hes gotten the all clear so dont really know if it could still affect him but like i stated before i actually thought he was dying, it was quite severe, the vets had to do emergency treatment to get him breathing ok again. i may call the vets tomorrow and get their opinion and if they wanna see him back then ill take him but hes got no symptoms of an RI but then again he didnt have any before then all of a sudden he had pneumonia borderline septecemia.
thanx again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom