Loose dubia roach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura123

Hatchling Member
in my kitchen. Last night I came across a rogue dubia on the kitchen floor. Now I am way freaked that my house will become infested with roaches. Does anyone else worry about this? He must have gotten loose when I was feeding my dragon.

Is it possible to have a dubia roach infestation?

hartungs

Hatchling Member
OH NO!!! I have read in earlier posts that dubias are not the infestation type, especially where you are in Michigan. As I understand it, they need very specific conditions in order to reporoduce. I would imagine that only one of your little guys escaped (and hopefully you scooped him up and put him back in his bin). If others did get out, they would more than likely just hang out for a while, then die. You may do a search as I know I have read that this has happened to others.

I wouldn't worry about it. Rest at ease....

erdeem

Hatchling Member
This is exactly why I'm afraid to start breeding Dubia. I know that a lot of member of this forum recommend to breed Dubia, and I have been considering that many many many times...but I'm still not sure. When I told my husband that I'm considering to start roach colony, he send me a link of a comedy vido you tube about Joe's apartment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw_zUUE4BE0. It's funny to watch, but it's not funny to think that one day an accident will happened, one lil guy escape, and start their own family in our house. :puke:

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
well as i see it, a larger amount would have to get out and they would have to be a male and female. They would also have to survive for about 4 months until maturity and they would have to find each other somehow. .

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
There's no where in North America that these guys can survive w/ the exception of certain parts of Florida (The Everglades). Blaptica Dubia is a Tropical Roach that comes from Brazil, Guyana... Around those parts. Your in Michigan, a long way from home. Don't worry about a thing. If you hadn't found him he would have died within a couple of days.

-Ian

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
The above is true! Believe me you have no need to worry. I have had a few escapes here and there, either by them getting away when feeding our when I clean their tub out. We eventually find them, usually in the bathroom. I think they go their because it is a smaller room so it stays warm and humidity is higher in their due to showering. They all eventually die. We even usually keep our house above 75 and they still eventually die off. I have come to believe that they "need" companionship - in the sense that one, they of course can't breed without another, and if they do find themselves in a colder condition they can keep warm by "cuddling". I found this out when I went to pick up some that I had previously given a friend who no longer needed them. I had a bit of a drive and also had to stop at off at a relatives house for a couple of hours, they had to stay out in the car. It was pretty cold outside and I lost a few, but found that the ones that stayed "cuddled" up to others made it till I got home and able to warm them up.
I also have a friend who breeds them, and she has had many accidents including accidently knocking over on of her dubia tubs - hundreds got loose. She eventually found them here and their dead, and there was no infestation problem.
The thought of them getting out and infesting your house is dreadful, but I honestly think it's impossible.
I also suggest not adding any escapies back into the bunch. If you want to eventually add them back then keep them seperated for a while. But you have no idea what they have gotten into while they have been roaming your house, and you do not want them to make your other healthy roaches sick. Plus, I found one and kept it seperated, it died after about a day so who knows if it got into something that could have harmed my other roaches, or if the factor of not having its required needs for living for a couple of days finally payed its toll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom