Long Term Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seacow

Hi all,
So, Dennis is about 15 months old and in March he began showing signs of shedding (about half his back, his chest, upper arms and mouth) It took about three weeks for it all to come away and immediatly his appetite improved, he was more active etc. This lasted all of four days, then the next few patches of shed turned up (the other half of his back and his beard) so, he went back to having v. little appetite, sulky, and not very active. Just as those patches of shed came away, his tail, sides belly and feet have now all gone white and are preparing to shed. I feel so sorry for him, he's obviously uncomfortable and it's been six weeks since the first patches showed up. I'm worried about his appetite (although he doesn't seem to have lost any weight) and he seems very reluctant to bask. Although I've been bathing him every day since he began it just seems to be taking ages. Is this normal? And is there anything I can do to hurry things along? I hate seeing him so miserable... :(
Thanks
Sarah

Lennifer

Juvie Member
The only thing u can do to help the shedding is to continue with warm soaks. If u can see the shed starting to peel off, u can stoke him (while in the water) with a soft brisstle toothe brush to help...just be sure not to pull it off as this can damage the scales. They tend to shed in patches or diff parts of the body & it's normal for them to be a bit grumpy & not eat as much during shedding. If he/she isn't losing any weight then I wouldn't be too concerned.

~Sandy

Seacow

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. I'e been doing the soft toothbrush thing but it's the length of time it takes between the white waxy stage and the stage where the skin actually lifts that bothers me. Oh...and Dennis helps himself out by rubbing himself off the bathroom carpet when he gets out of the bath :D
Anyhow, I'll continue on with the daily soaks and hope this last lot of shed will be all for awhile!
Thanks again!
Sarah

Fogles

Juvie Member
There is a kinda soap stuff that you can buy at pets mart or petco called shedaway or shedoff or something, it helps the process.

Lennifer

Juvie Member
O yea...I forgot all about that stuff! lol! It's called Shed Ease & u can usually find it in PetSmart &/or Petco. Good suggestion!

~Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom