Status
Not open for further replies.
So I wanted to add a really nice piece of decor to be beardies tank so I went on a drive out in the woods looking for a new piece of furniture. I went to a logging site and found a ripped up tree stump with massive roots (the one I found has a nice C shape, is 4 feet long, stands 2 feet tall, and is the size of a paper towl roll around. (My best way to describe the size haha) it fits perfectly in my custom made oak enclosure.

Now here's my dilemma....the wood up here is mostly all fur and pine. Knowing pine is "toxic" to beardies, and the posibility the root may be from a pine I am a little nervous. However, the logging site is extremely old, and the wood is so dead and dried out that I was able to walk over, and rip the roots off the stump with an easy tug. A few summers of baking in the sun has it really cured and dried it so I don't think it should be posing any danger when it comes to fumes if it is pine?

I took it home, and took a wire brush and went to town on it with the water hose for about an hour scraping it down like crazy since it's too big to bake in the oven. Looks extremely nice, and he seems to absolutely love his new climbing feature. What are your guyses opinions?

(Sorry for sideways pics, they turn sideways when I upload them from my phone for some reason)
81026-9338816427.jpg
81026-9612503922.jpg
81026-1498365659.jpg

SukiLove

Juvie Member
The problem is that pine contains phenol. I don't know if the toxicity degrades over time, but I had an old log (and I mean OLD- it was used with my iguana over 22 years ago) that I pulled from storage and decided to bake and sanitize. I couldn't tell you exactly what kind of wood it was; but the sap was oozing out of it within 30 mins of it being in a 300 degree oven. So I think things tend to linger for a lot longer than we think, I would definitely keep an eye on it, but honestly if it were me I wouldn't risk it. Hopefully someone can help you truly identify the type of wood it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom