Liquid Calcium Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CliffsMom

Hi,
I gave my beardie some liquid calcium yesterday, since he hasn't been eating his veggies lately. He hated the taste, so I mixed it with some orange juice. However his beard turned all black, which it rarely does and only when something's really bugging him, like when my young cousins knock on the glass of his tank.
His beard is still black like that today, and I was wondering if that might indicate that he is sick? I don't know if the calcium might've been too much at once... I gave him about 1ml.
I haven't noticed any other signs of distress, nothing seems to be sore, etc.

Thanks

nursejones813

Juvie Member
Sorry your dragon isn't feeling well. Citrus fruit (like oranges) are not good for Beardies. There is a website called beautifuldragons , that has a list of fruits and veggies safe for your Beardie. I am not sure of the effects of citrus fruit on your dragon. I might suggest giving him a bath so he can have some extra fluid to perhaps flush his system. But, I'm not an expert.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As mentioned, citrus is not recommended for reptiles as it upsets their GI tract.
Which liquid calcium are you using, what brand is it? How much does your dragon weigh?
Do you have any probiotics such as non dairy soy yogurt or acidophiliz (dairy free)?
You can try giving some extra oral fluids to see if that helps him out some.
When using juice, you can give grape juice, apple juice or cranberry juice, diluted to one part juice & 2 parts water so it isn't too sweet.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

CliffsMom

Original Poster
Turns out he had a lower GI tract issue,but I got him to a vet and he's now on antibiotics! Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom