Limping on front leg for about a week now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
So Scout, my 5yo male, seems to have developed a limp in his front right leg. He is favouring it, not putting his weight on it, and seems to have a harder time moving it. He can move it, but when he does, it's a bit slow and he puts no weight on it/doesn't grab onto me like he does with his other feet.
He has been a big rambunctious head bobbing and arm stomping and is a little clumsy when hunting bugs or running around, and he likes to try to jump off of tables and couches...
So there's a good chance he's sprained something. He doesn't seem to directly act in pain when I touch his arm/hand/shoulder, and he is acting with a normal activity level and eating. So he's not /acting/ like he's in pain, just like he's favouring his leg.

I'm not sure if I should take him to the vet or not. I told myself I would if he started to act in serious pain, but he's definitely limping on that leg and not using it much. It's not swollen or discoloured or anything.
His Reptisun 10.0 strip bulb needs replaced sometime within the next couple months probably, but he doesn't show any signs of calcium deficiency.

I'm just not sure what to do with his apparent injury here. And not sure what the vet would do if I take him in.

I'm in the process of having him registered as a therapy/service animal so I really do want him in the best of health and as comfortable as can be before he gets registered.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....poor Scout, hopefully it's just a sprain. There's a similar situation just a couple of threads away. You might wait to see how it goes in a few days but if you want to know right away you can take him for an X-ray....of course you might not get an appt. for a few days anyway. Keep him from places that he might jump from for sure so it has a better chance to heal. Hopefully it's just a sprain.....get better Scout, you have a big gig coming up ! :)

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Look at that, there is a similar thread!
Scout-- I'm holding him now-- does not seem to be in much pain at all, as he doesn't want to stop trying to run around! He sure has a lot of energy. He does seem frustrated his arm won't do what he wants it to, but he is using it, just barely putting weight on it.

Will continue to keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't do anything stupid like falling off of couches like he usually tries to do.

what the hell is going on?

When I posted my thread on the 13th and was nothing on here that I could find for advice.

Now I see three different cases (including mine), within a similar age.

I don't understand.... Are you guys in Australia as well? Are our dragons synchronizing their injuries!!

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Nope, I'm up in WA state USA, very far from Australia.

Reckless dragons... *sigh*

Scout's still favouring his arm, but still can move around and is eating and stuff, so I'm not sure what's up

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Scout! Tell him that he isn't allowed to fly through the air right now! :D
You can move his basking area down a little bit also so he doesn't have to climb & aggravate his arm, either. Just be sure you readjust his lighting to compensate for any increased distances.
How often do you give calcium?
They seem to think that they are superman or something sometimes, you have to always watch them to be sure they don't go jumping off of everything! LOL

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Usually whenever I give him bugs/salads I dust it with his vit/calcium mix ( I use repashy calcium plus which you use everytime you feed. Been using that for years for all my lizards and they all are great on it), so he gets calcium several times a week aka whenever he decides to actually eat.

He doesn't show any signs of calcium deficiency I don't think, though. He's a pretty healthy boy, just... rambunctious lol

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This happens fairly often, they get carried away with running & jumping & hurt themselves. I guess basically like a child does! I hope it gets better soon so that he can enjoy his activities again.
That is fine, several times per week for calcium is good for him as an adult. It doesn't sound like he has any calcium deficiency so hopefully this will heal right up for him.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom