Lilly and Lyla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got my new baby today! She has done great so far. Other than a dark belly she has shown no signs of relocation stress. At 6 months and 104 gm, she ate a meal that would have rivaled my boyfriends 10 month old, 314 gm dragon. She had hornworms, butterworms, and crickets. We actually had to cut her off on cricket because I stupidly bought some that were way to big (we picked out the littlest ones). I have already taken several pictures so I just have to share. I will be updating this post periodically with more pictures and stories. (I have to add my funny cricket story here. Yesterday I went to feeder's supply to get crickets because I won't be able to get bulk until monday. A girl in her 20s or so was helping me. She had jeans on with torn knees. As she was almost done with my crickets she says "Oh my gosh". "What?" I asked. "A cricket just crawled into my pants." She hurried off to go take care of it and another worker came to finish my cricket order. I found it hilarious).
On to pictures:
Basking
DSC_0758.jpg

Setup
DSC_0759.jpg

Close-up
DSC_0757.jpg

Mommy tried to get a picture of me as a burrito but wasn't fast enough
DSC_0755.jpg

One more basking shot
DSC_0756.jpg

Would have been a great bath pic if mommy paid attention to the focus
DSC_0754.jpg

Whole body bath shot
DSC_0753.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Sara

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Sara! Take a breath dear! LOL If it's gonna happen, it'll happen. Lilly looks great and she's healthy, so you should stop worrying, at least a little! :D I know it's impossible to not worry at all, but, don't give yourself gray hair!

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
I'm kinda leaning towards the egg follicles too. I'm glad your not stressing so bad over it now! I'd hate to see gray in that pretty blonde hair of yours at the age of 21 !!!!! :lol:

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey I have superworm questions and don't feel like starting a new thread lol.
Okay Lil is eating 10 supers a day. She would eat a TON more but that's all her mean mommy will let her have. So right now I'm paying $4 for 50 worms or 8c a worm. If I order from mulberry, 500 is 16.99 or 3c a worm. So my question, will superworms last 7 weeks which is what it would take her to eat that many. And how does mulberry package their worms? Are bran included or do I need to buy that separate. And if separate, should I get the 1lb or 4lb? Of course none of this factors in shipping lol. I'm having decision making issues :D . Of course, 1000 is an even better deal (2c each), but it would take Lil 14 weeks to eat all those.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Sara, they usually come in cups with a substrate that looks like sawdust or tiny wood shavings. If your ordering a large batch, put the worms (and substrate) into a large cricket keeper, add some rolled oats-not instant, the long cook time type, quaker will do though I use scottish oats (Barb's suggestion that has worked out fabulous) and add carrot slices (take a carrot, cut it lengthwise and toss it in). The carrot is for moisture. Change it out about every 2 days. If they don't have enough moisture they will eat each other, they are canabalistic. And they will eat the oats. If you do this, they will last for up to a couple months, or more. I've been trying to get a colony of these started over the last few months and am finally seeing a bunch of baby worms. They really are pretty easy to keep. Also, pick out any deads when you see them.

And yes, 10 supers a day is plenty. You want her eating the dubias too to give her a variety of protein. Dragons tend to really love supers and can get spoiled on them and not want to eat other feeders.

MissT

BD.org Addict
I never realised they needed the carrot too :S I used the scots oats too - they are cheaper than quaker. Some of the supermarkets also do their own brand oats which work out cheaper too (I just didnt get those because the bags are giant and I dont eat the stuff very often!!)

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Alright thanks guys! I'm going to order some today. I wanna get horns and butters too, but not sure I can afford all of that!

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thank you :D .
I just ordered almost $50 of horns and supers from great lakes :shock: . Hopefully that'll keep her fed for a while.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Actually Sara the supers come in a box or cloth bag when from mulberry farms not substrate included..not sure how greatlakes does it. They can live for up to 18 months if cared for properly. You need a bran substrate which you can order from there but I find that if you go to WinCo or a supermarket that has a bulk food section it's only about 40 cents per pound much much cheaper. :wink: You want to put your worms in a container like a sterlite with about 3 to 4 inches of bran in it. What I do is throw in some of the end pieces of squash, carrots, and the greens that I don't feel look good enough to feed directly to my beardies. Remove the old veggies and replace with new every few days. When the substrate becomes broken down and you can see lots of the dusty stuff (worm poop) you need to sift out the worms and replace with fresh bran.

You don't have to use just bran any of the high protien grains will work well like Christine I like to add the scottish oat as well. Scottish oats are higher in protein than regular oats and makes sifting much easier because they are finely ground. You can also add corn meal or corn grits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom