Lights Flickering & Stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
We have 110km winds where I live, and the power flicked on and off earlier, which completely freaked Pancake out and he ran into his hut with a greyish beard. The power is back on now but his basking light is buzzing and flickering, and it's stressing him out (glass dancing, pacing, black beard)

I shut the terrarium lights off and have the lights in the room on, he seems to be okay with that right now. However, the power is expected to go out permanently and I don't want him to be without his basking and UVB light longer than necessary.

I do have a 25W basking light on the cool side of his tank that wasn't flickering, his UVB was also okay. Should I just keep his main basking light off? Or is it better to not risk damaging the fixtures and stressing him further if the lights begin to flicker again?

I have heat packs which I will be putting in the microwave as a backup incase the power goes out for the rest of the day soon. There's a probe thermometer in his tank, and a temperature gun at the ready to watch his body temp.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry you are having such bad weather! What type of basking light are you using, wattage wise,
that is flickering?
If it is not working well with power surges, it is beset to leave it off right now. You could use the
lower wattage if needed. Do you have a tube UVB also & if so, is it working or is it flickering too?
He will be ok for awhile without lights, but just do not feed him right now.
How long do they project the power is going to be off?

Tracie

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":3hrds8t5 said:
Hello,

Sorry you are having such bad weather! What type of basking light are you using, wattage wise,
that is flickering?
If it is not working well with power surges, it is beset to leave it off right now. You could use the
lower wattage if needed. Do you have a tube UVB also & if so, is it working or is it flickering too?
He will be ok for awhile without lights, but just do not feed him right now.
How long do they project the power is going to be off?

Tracie

It's a 150W basking bulb.
The UVB light I have is a Reptisun 10.0 T5, it was perfectly fine during the bad weather. I did end up leaving the 25W bulb and the UVB on, and both remained fine.

The power went out overnight, and came back on yesterday morning. There's a snow warning in affect currently, but the power has been alright so far.

SPandS

Juvie Member
If you don't already have one you should think of getting a surge protector for your lights. It should save your bulbs in situations like this in the future.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SandP":2uu05c9r said:
If you don't already have one you should think of getting a surge protector for your lights. It should save your bulbs in situations like this in the future.

The powerbar I have everything plugged into is supposed to have one built in, so I'm not sure what happened there. I'll either get my dad to check or look into getting a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom