Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
My enclosure is 24"24"48" size. My house temps are 67-69 depends with bipolar weather we been getting. Today tried my mega-ray 60w heat projector. Was going make it basking area about 10-13 inches. 15 inches tops didn't measure. But got a reading of 78-5 as highest surface temps under the bulb. I contacted reptile uv few days ago and no reply. I have a 150 watt basking bulb and mega-ray uvb bulb 160 watts. Trying get my basking temps 105-110 maybe 100 will do not sure. But isn't going well. Any ideas on what I could do? I have a flat Rock and grapevine under the fixtures about 12-14 inches. I don't like grapevine hard to clean. But biggest basking item I own. My current temps are 90 degrees in a 20 gallon with 75 watt. But he grew out of the 20 gallon few weeks ago. Have a sunblaster with a reptisun 10 bulb 22" but doesn't cover whole top of the enclosure. So haven't used that. Any pointers or ideas be appreciated. It's vented on top with sliding front doors and walls are hard wood.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yep I would use the sunblaster fixture w/ the Reptisun bulb and the 150 watt basking bulb--- find a good basking piece from PetSmart that would give gradient temps - here is a pic of my tank which is similar to yours- if you need heat at nite get a CHE--- I have them on my tanks and use a 100 watt-- keeps tanks around 70 at nite
97951-7863920475.jpg
Karrie

NewBeardDragOwner

Original Poster
Hi karrie,
What are your basking temps? I use a temp gun for instant results. Mostly drop wattage in the summer no ac here. I also use a black mat to keep the ground heated. Adding a piece for the top around the fixtures soon. But think just cover side where the fixtures are. Only problem is my fixtures are 150 watt max and 120 volt max. Don't wanna have to replace fixtures all the time with using them maxed. That and 100 watt mega-ray won't work but 160 watt mega-ray should be fine on top. Just lose full effect of the bulb but don't like bulbs exposed in side of enclosure. 150max watt fixture won't work with the 160 watt :(. Don't wanna risk a fire while at work if something happens. 275 watt mega-ray seems best for both heat and uvb. But seems they don't last full six months to a year with reviews I read. Just trying find a fixture dome that's safe for a 160 watt bulb. But hardware store and Lowe's have 150 watt max fixtures. Not very good selection.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking temps are different at top of decor can range from 105- 113 or so it depends on the room and how warm it is in there-- if I close the door it's hotter but if I leave door open the spot at top is cooler- but he has different places to sit so different temps- he can pick-- the megaray bulbs I am not familiar w/ at all- someone else would need to help w/ that---- those bulbs need to be certain distances for correct UVB and then you haft to deal w/ trying to get temps right-- forget that I went w/ what I could control better- the sunblaster would need to go into the tank approx 12-15 inches from decor
Karrie

NewBeardDragOwner

Original Poster
Thanks Carrie,
I keep mine near the front door in a area I barely go in. Mostly because I like keep two reptiles in same area. My rock iguana is kinda on the scared freak side. If am checking or just looking flys around the tank. Gets worse when I check or clean things enclosure. Bearded dragon just sits there and looks at me. Glass dance once in a while but hasn't much since he got on lazy side. Mega-rays I thought were very good uvb for any reptile. But heat projector is garbage and contact reptile uv and they never respond. Just thinking go with another 22" reptisun and ditch mega-ray. Had a good idea on lighting but with heat projector. Kinda ruined that with lack of heat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So you only need one good UVB and one good bright white basking bulb - the room you have the reptiles in is cold? That is going to effect the heat in those tanks- yes I heard Megarays were good bulbs - they are on the list for the best -- besides the Reptisun being at the top of list -- its going to be trial and error w/ bulbs and getting heat right - I know some others on here can give you some more ideas on that
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
NewBeardDragOwner":2z21gs4i said:
Have a sunblaster with a reptisun 10 bulb 22" but doesn't cover whole top of the enclosure.
You don't want it to. The Sunblaster should be mounted parallel with the direction of the enclosure, centered front to back, but at one end (the hot/basking end) like this only 1/2 to 2/3 the length of the enclosure is OK (the one you've got). You want them to be able to avoid the UV if they want to. There are some good articles in the Care Sheets and Articles section (horizontal menu across the top of the screen).

NewBeardDragOwner

Original Poster
Hello,
Seem to be getting 95-100 basking temps. I mounted the sunblaster in the middle on a angle for the branch I have in the middle. That and 160 watt mega-ray that is pretty warm. My fixture is 200watt max and very hot can't touch it. It's the reptizoo reflecting fixture on Amazon. Wanted to figure out how I can check the uvb exposure. Solar meters are 150 to 200 bucks. Anyone know of a cheaper option?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I don't know of a less expensive option. I justified/rationalized it this way: In addition to monitoring UVI (I've changed decor around several times, and needed a way to keep on top of it while I tried different arrangements), it should also save money because rather than replacing UVB bulbs on a calendar, I'll be replacing them when they actually wear out (ostensibly longer). This second reason will have a shorter payback as the menagerie grows and I add more UVB lights.

NewBeardDragOwner

Original Poster
Thanks have to save up for one of the solar meters. I use three mega-rays on three different reptiles. Just wanted make sure there getting uvb. Mega-rays give uvb up to a year but was told replace them every six months. I rather get a year out of them maybe then 6 months. Not concerned on reptisun 10 am using have two replacements for next 17 months only about month old. Tag the uvb bulbs on first day of use and go from there.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
NewBeardDragOwner":2aui5hxv said:
Mega-rays give uvb up to a year but was told replace them every six months.
Then I think you get where I'm coming from. :) Only needing to replace them half as often will add up.

I figure on having my BD 10-12 years (avg)--maybe longer if lucky. That's ostensibly a lot of bulbs. Add a couple/few other species of lizards, and things add up even faster.

One thing I found out from having the meter is that I'm not getting the UVI I'm supposed to be getting at the distances I'm supposed to be getting it at (and the reflector isn't doing squat). Instead of 12"-15", I had to raise the platform to within 9" of the bulb. This may change with subsequent bulbs/conditions. As you say, I want to be sure he's getting what he needs to be healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom