Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm rather new and I was wondering, do I still need to buy UV lights if I have my beardie's habitat connected to a window? Will he get enough natural UV rays from the sun through the window?
*I live in florida so its almost always super sunny and hot, it's rare that the sun doesn't brightly hit the window his habitat is at

Reeses, I would have to say yes, get a UV. I also live and Florida and have my tank setup next to a window, but glass and/or screening can filter out UV light. Make sure you get a good bulb as well - some UV bulbs don't work properly and can seriously hurt your dragon. I suggest Reptisun or Arcadia lights, they have good reviews and many users of this forum say they're fine.
Hope I could help,
~Grace

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes glass filters UVB but will allow heat (infrared) and UVA through. Do be careful that the tank doesn't overheat next to a window though. You can bring him outside with you and that will give him plenty of great natural sunlight. I do recommend doing that if he is OK with handling and likes being outside (sitting on your lap or very close and under supervision). For the main tank I would invest in a good UVB light though. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom