Lighting/supplement questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Hey everyone! I just got a new baby beardie a little over a month ago. His name is Malachi, he's a super citrus, partial trans - 66% het hypo.

1979553_909503489062960_7215812977086438718_n.jpg

So, I have been using a Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO (High Output) fluorescent bulb that is mounted on the backside of his viv on the inside. It will need to be replaced by the end of this month as it will have reached its 6 month grace by then. I have also been using two Powersun MVB bulbs that have already been used for 6 months by the time I got my new beardie. I mainly use the MVB's for basking heat.

Now, I was told it was safe to use both fluorescent UV and MVB together since bearded dragons have high UV requirements and all... But I'm looking for more opinions on this? Opinions on the brands too! Preferably some opinions with scientific facts and evaluation for each brand of bulb to back it up as well! I don't have a solar meter so there's no way of me being able to see how much each bulb is actually putting out right now. I was kind of thinking, if it is safe, that I would replace one or the other or both every 6 months depending on what my budget looks like at that time.

My second question is about vitamin and calcium supplements... I use Rep Cal Herptivite and Rep Cal Calcium +D3. They both expired August of last year. I'm short on money right now as the holidays just passed and purchasing feeders for my little guy got surprisingly expensive for me! Is it safe to continue giving him the expired supplements? It's better than none for now right? Also, does the nutritional value of the supplements start degrading after the expiration date? Or does the expiration date mean that they're literally useless after it expires?

Really looking forward to hear what you guys have to say! Thank you in advance! =]

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What is your cage setup like, that's a lot of high power lights. Is the t5 in a reflector? How big is the enclosure?

T5 are measured at lasting a year or more and some folks have seen some MVB brands last 2+ years. I suggest you join the uvb meter owners group on yahoo. You can peruse their files and ask questions to the lighting experts themselves. They are scientific crowd :)

With all that uvb you shouldn't need to use d3 supplements.

Supplement quality is improved over the years but it does degrade over time, especially when exposed to air/moisture/heat. Calcium is a mineral and is stable, it doesn't decay. The expiry date means the content isn't guaranteed anymore.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for responding Tater! =] I will look into joining that yahoo group!

My setup is a 40 gallon breeder. It has a big branch/log, few rocks, hallowed half log, and a bed with little pillows. I use a industrial shelf liner for the bottom of his viv. One of the MVB are sitting on top of the screen. The other one is lifted off the screen providing proper basking temperatures on different parts of the big branch/log. The T5 is mounted on the inside of the vivarium and I made my own ghetto looking reflector for it out of aluminum foil lol.

He's got a couple spots he can bask. I use a digital infrared thermometer for measuring temperatures. The hottest basking spot gets no higher than 111 degrees F. His basking spots are on the big branch/log, it has ascending temperatures starting at 103 to 111 at maximum. He's got a gradient temperature of about 90-95 degrees F in his viv and his cool side drops to about 85 degrees F.

I have a hard time trusting that the MVB's are still putting out enough UV for the little guy. I've read many contradicting articles and talked to different people about their UV output and life span that I've fallen into the "rather be safe than sorry" state. I've always just switched them out every 6 months. Now I feel even more confused about it! Haha!

Don't the bulbs degrade more and more with every use? So at what point do they not produce sufficient UV rays anymore? I'm worried that they won't be providing proper UV exposure after the 6 month period. He's a growing baby, I really stress about this stuff.

With the supplements, thank you so much! That was really confusing for me after reading around trying to answer my own questions! Should I purchase some calcium without D3? Or will the D3 in the calcium I have now be degrading so it doesn't matter anymore? Lol. The MVB's are at least 7-8 months old, Possibly older, and I will only be replacing the Reptisun with another.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The yahoo! group is a great resource!

Do you have any exotic or reptile pet stores in the area? They may have a meter and could test your bulbs for you. No other way to know what the bulbs are doing. The good part about MVB is that they also put of UVA, which is visible to reptiles. I have a meter myself and really like it a lot. It takes the guesswork out of setting up basking distances and "is the bulb dead?"

Brand of lights plays a huge role in lifespan and quality - the different chemical formulations, glass, coatings and so forth. Some brands like megaray I have read from more than one owner with uvb meters that they are into their second year with output well within parameters. Others are kinda disappointing right out of the box. Same with tubes. Arcadia actually garentees their tubes to last 12 months (even the T8s).

I switched to calcium w/out d3 when I switched lights. I don't like the idea of supplementing d3 - it makes me nervous. Plain calcium is so cheap I just went ahead and got it. I've done a lot of reading on it and it's sort of inconclusive - for me that's just all the more reason to try and recreate wild uv exposure levels than try to artificially supplement it.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Please don't take this the wrong way Tator.. But I freakin' love you right now! I feel like I hit a gold mine talking to you! Haha! I joined the yahoo! group and there's so much information! You blew my mind! Lol!

No, I don't have any reptile pet stores near me that I know of unfortunately. :cry: Wish I did.

I was actually thinking about getting an Arcadia brand tube and/or MVB before...

I think I will purchase some calcium without D3 once I have the money for it.

I need to win the lottery. Lol!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
MissCutiePatootie":3erqnmxs said:
Please don't take this the wrong way Tator.. But I freakin' love you right now! I feel like I hit a gold mine talking to you! Haha! I joined the yahoo! group and there's so much information! You blew my mind! Lol!

No, I don't have any reptile pet stores near me that I know of unfortunately. :cry: Wish I did.

I was actually thinking about getting an Arcadia brand tube and/or MVB before...

I think I will purchase some calcium without D3 once I have the money for it.

I need to win the lottery. Lol!

:3 Glad to hear you like the group, it's pretty much invaluable! Not sure what I would have done without it and the original site (uvguide.uk.co) when I was getting started.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ahh yeah that was the site I used to go to for my lighting information but last few times I checked they were updating it.

I'm glad I have an alternative now thanks to you! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom