Lighting suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glitch

Hatchling Member
Let's take a moment to understand that money is an issue, so the cheapest/most effective I need to take into consideration. Something that works well that I can afford.

My beardie has a 40 gallon tank and a Reptiglo bulb. As that doesn't work, I need to find an alternative lighting source. It seems that I don't understand lighting well, so when I try to research a light AND a fixture, I'm not sure what to do anymore, so here I am asking for suggestions! I need a cheap fixture and lamp that will work together, as right now I only have dome lamps. Also take into consideration that the front wall of my tank are glass doors that open up, and the back is a... Styrofoam-esqe (can't think of the other name for it) rock background, really leaving my only option to be something that can rest on top, MAYBE something I can mount inside, but lets ignore that as best as possible, because I'm not really sure how to access the place that allows me to wire the cage without leaving doors open.

Links/pictures/detailed info is appreciated!

patrickmb21

Hatchling Member
I made the same mistake.
so what i did and is the cheapest method. you go to walmart and buy the tube light fixture 18 inch or 24 inch and 3M command hooks. next go to the pet store and buy the 10.0 Reptisun tube. the walmart light fixtures are the same as the pet store ones but only $8 and the light tube is $50. this is the cheapest method.

Glitch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
But sadly I can't afford the $50, and I can't mount the walmart fixture anywhere inside of my tank. Any other suggestions?

patrickmb21

Hatchling Member
Owning animals cost money and isnt cheap. if you cant afford anything then you shouldnt be owning animals

arman

yea.... pets are expensive, im finding that out now also... if you cant afford the proper light how can you afford the correct amount of food? im not trying to sound rude but its the truth.

Glitch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
First off, Patrick, that was simply rude and you really shouldn't be talking to people that way. I take very good care of my Bearded Dragon, and currently I don't have money because I just paid for him to go to the vet, due to his parasites. Arman, I can afford food, as I breed my own crickets and greens are only a couple of bucks. Frankly, I have afforded everything else for my beardie, tank, bulbs, everything he needs. The light was just recently brought to my attention, and after that vet visit, I don't have the money at the moment to do anything that would cost too much for the lamp.

Glitch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you, and I have a question- does the Walmart fixture need to be mounted with the hooks, or is it safe to rest it on top of my tank? I ask because the only walls of my tank that I could mount something on aren't necessarily long, so in case the fixture was too wide, the option to not need to "hang" it?

nycmedic

I dont think that Patrick sounded mean or outta line. It may have come across that way but I dont think anyone here on this forum is mean, but the opposite. If you could perhaps post as pic of your setup it might help others help you find a solution. Also give an approx amount that you could spend would probably help. Just my 0.02 cents.

Glitch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I took more than plently rudeness out of what he said, and even "coming across" as being rude, is pretty awfully rude. He could have said what he did in so many other, more pleasant ways- instead he tells me I shouldn't be owning animals? That's nonsense, and seeing as I'm not a cruel owner, I'm not abusing or trying to abuse my pets, he has no right to even suggest that in my opinion.

To each their own, be he needn't be unpleasant about it.

Thank you, Beerhunter, and I think I'll just try to figure it out on my own now.

arman

so i just re-read your orginal post. you didnt say anything about a vet visit or in a weekyou can afford a light.. all you said was cheep and cant afford. what were we supposto think? im still with patrick on this one... YOU may not think your doing harm to your pet but you could be, just like a cat lady that thinks shes doing good but really she is not.
also you need to take constructive crittisim way better, you asked a question and jumped on pat when he responded. :puke:

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
I blame the pet stores for marketing bearded dragons as an inexpensive, low-maintenance pet AND giving out crappy incorrect info/products. Not cool, petstores.

Glitch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Actually, that is incorrect. Yes, I forgot to mention it in my first post that I took him to the vet, my bad. Also, in the fact that I made this post, I am obviously aware that harm is being done- otherwise, wouldn't I have just let my beardie go on with his old lamp? What I said was, I am not a cruel owner, I am not trying to abuse my pets.

Also, as for me "jumping on Patrick", that never happened when he actually tried to give me his idea, I only told him I couldn't afford a $50 bulb and asked for other suggestions. I DID however snap when he had the nerve to tell me I shouldn't own animals.

patrickmb21

Hatchling Member
Sorry if i offended you. But there is no other way of putting it. its plain and simple if you can not afford to care for your pets properly then you should not be owning animals. sorry if the truth hurts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom